Halyard size

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

I know the manual suggests 120 feet of 3/8ths line for the halyards (I have a tall rig).  My contact at North Sails is recommending 7/16 if I go with SLS polyester or 3/8 with gale force spectra.  Thoughts?  If I go with 7/16ths will I have issues with the sheaves in the mast?

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

Greg : You can upsize your halyards, but you need to talk with North and find out how bendable the upsize is going over a 180 and 90 degree sheaves!?!

I went to 7/16" halyards and the only down side I've found is that you need to winch more sail to the top than I had to using 3/8" line.  The plus is you never have to be concerned about strength vs. wear.

Something to think about.   
Ron, Apache #788

wind dancer

I went with 3/8"/10mm and have been happy with it.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Jeff Kaplan

Greg,

I agree with Ron, go with the 7/16", stronger and better feel in the hand. All my halyards are that size, no problems but you will have to winch up the genny to the top...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

ghebbns

Thanks for the replies.  Am I missing something?  I don't see how the diameter of the halyard would impact how much sail you have to raise??

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ken Juul

The thicker the line the more it resists bends.  So as the sail goes up the sail track the combination of the weight of the sail, friction in the sliders and the resistance make it harder to hand pull the sail up.  So what Ron was saying is he can hand pull it most of the way, but the thicker halyard means he has to use the winch earlier to finish raising the sail and get a proper tension.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA