New England 1/2 inch anchor line with plastic thumbles?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,
I found that the previous owner left a band new New England brand 200 ft + 1/2 " anchor line on the boat.  However, it has plastic thimbles on the ends.   Any advice on if I should use this new line at all for my anchor.   The existing metal thimbles on the installed line are corroded and the line has some warn spots.    I have moved the boat to where I will do lots of anchoring in the future so I acquired a Rocna 15 with 35 ft of chain.   I am suspecting that I should forget about the existing new one with the plastic thimbles.  Advice?   

Thanks,
Bob Mobley :?

waterdog

Bob,

Is this three strand nylon?   

If so, you could cut the thimbles off and splice it directly to your chain.   Youtube is your friend.  If you invest an hour of your time, you can learn how to do the splice.   After you have done it once, you will be much more conscious of it, you will inspect it more often, and you'll be able to cut it off and splice a new one in about ten minutes if you ever see wear. 

Definitely keep the new line. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Bob : Those thimbles are NYLON not plastic.  They will long outlast metal non-stainless thimbles.  I've got a braid on braid rode that is still good after 15 years.  Braid on braid rode is still nimble after all those years where as 3 strand get very stiff.

Your choice of anchors is yours, but I'd go for a heavier anchor.  Talk to your friend around there and get some opinions before purchase.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788