New Saloon Table

Previous topic - Next topic

n624ma

Cynosure has a new saloon table (or at least the trial prototype). It is about 18x24 folded and 36x24 fully opened. the prototype is melamine covered particle board so we can try it out for the season and see what needs to be changed before I make a "real one".

The big change is eliminating the pedestal, the new setup attaches to the mast track. The frame is 1 inch stainless tube and the three diagonal braces make the table solid with out getting in the way of knees or feet, with the table folded you can walk into either end of the settee without doing the "Butt Shuffle"

The leaves are supported by pull out supports when open.
Joseph Rheubeck

Jim Hardesty

Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  Let us know how it's working out.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KINGAIR350

Very Nice !!!

Phil Spicer

Always another idea on our sight.  :clap   Fantastic !!!   :thumb: Really cool new table. I like how you hung the table from the mast. Innovative !    Really fine job with the design & quality. What did you do about the hole in the floor?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

n624ma

For right now it has been swept under the rug!! The blue one you see in the picture.

The initial plan is to open it up in the teak and holly sole and and drop in a piece of scrap T&H for this season and then replace the whole piece next winter.

I was on the boat Sunday after getting the table finished, WHAT a difference in accessibility to the settee. Like the song says "walk right in, sit right down!!"

Between the table and replacing the permeated holding tank it looks like the "livability" factor is going way up.
Joseph Rheubeck

Ken Juul

I had the same plan when I removed my table pedestal.  For a temp fix I screwed a piece of sheet metal I had in the garage to the bottom side and cut a round section of plywood to fit the hole.  Covered with a rug like you.  4? 5? 6? seasons later it's still that way, maybe someday I'll actually buy that new section of flooring.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Susan Ray

Aloha..I solved the problem of having to slide in by making the table able to turn to let people in then turn back..seems to work okay..(I made that smaller table)
Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

n624ma

Nice work!! I'm envious of the finish.

We started with a smaller table but I really wanted to eliminate the pedestal.
Joseph Rheubeck

Mike McDonald

Hi Joe,
I have looked at your table mounting design several times and it seems like a great way to go.  Can you tell me where you found the fittings, particularly the ones that attach to the mast track.  I've searched a number of sites, but can't seem to find the right fittings.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Phil Spicer

Mike, for the basic fittings you can usually get a good price at marinepartsdepot.com. For the mast track
you could make something like a heavy duty slug stopper that could also hold the table braces....Hope to here about that from Joe for the real story.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

n624ma

Mike, Phil was really close on  the source of the "Bimini Parts", they came from   http://www.bosunsupplies.com   , the mast track fittings came out of my "Basement Machine Shop".

However,... one of the best kept secrets in recreational boat owner modification is the fact that alloy 6061 Aluminum is not too different than really hard wood to carbide wood working tools on a table saw or router table. The sail track fittings could have been made that way. (I did them on a small milling machine).

By the way http://mcmaster.com  is without a doubt one of the most useful places to find raw materials (plastics, aluminum, stainless steel (and S/S hardware) on the web. The have no dollar minimum and reasonable per unit minimums. My last order was 1 ft of 3/4 square nylon bar stock for about $14.00. Check it out.

The mast track fitting is a 3" long "Tee" that goes in the sail track with a "U" Channel over the leg of the "T" with a couple of screws tapped into the "T" to clamp the assembly to the mast and hold a slightly modified Stainless Steel Stanchion Ring.

I'll try to take a couple of close-ups of the sail track area tomorrow and post them.

Now that we have spent a couple of weekends on the boat I can not believe how much more enjoyable the settee is with unimpeded access!

Joseph Rheubeck

n624ma

Mike McD.
Here are a few pictures of the hardware details.
If you want more info let me know.
Joseph Rheubeck

Mike McDonald

Hi Joe,
Thanks for all of the detailed information for taking the time to get some photos.  That really helps.  I'll see what I can pull together.  I'm glad to hear that you have found the unimpeded access a big improvement.  We hate the "butt shuffle" around the large table, and just having access to the opening ports and the storage areas.  Also, walking around in the cabin would be so much easier if one could step into the table area to let the other by.  I really appreciate your info.  Keep us posted if you do anything different with the table design, as well. 
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

jkar

Gorgeous!  You should copyright that design before I make one.  Better yet, if you take the time and list the parts and cuts, you can license it.  I will pay for that.  Even better, I will buy your protype if you decide to redo!  I have been looking for a better table forever.  I finally just made a smaller table a few years ago, but it is a pain to undo to put old one in for sleeping.  With this one, I can envision unbolting without too much effort and, I now think I have an idea of how to make a frame work for temp sleeping as well, thanks!  The slides, you lifted the mast and put them in from the bottom or did you notch the track somewhere?  Joel

n624ma

Joel,
I made a cutout at the base of the mast to allow the clamps to go in with the mast stepped.

We just spent 4 nights on the boat with a guest and the new table concept is a winner. This winter I will make the final version with some nice wood.
Joseph Rheubeck