1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Set2sea

Quote from: TonyP on May 23, 2013, 04:45:21 AM
Set2
Is this what you intend to do?
Hello TonyP,
It's funny that you ask me if your picture was what I was going to do because friends of mine that have a C34 named Moon Shadow have the same set up as you with the single cleat before the anchor locker but they have chocks where your cleats are. Again we are on moorings in a very non protected area (Salem harbor). We have to have two pennants. I don't like putting two pennants to one cleat.
I did get my 8" SS Schaefer cleats (ones with studs not holes for screws) from Defender Marine the other day. I am planning on putting them as others have done, port and starboard between end of toe rail and bow pulpit stanchion.
Even the 8" inch are smaller than I would like to put, but 10 inchers would be too tight between toe rail and stanchion. My last boat had 10" cleats as I currently have 3/4" pennants and I have had 1" in the past. I don't see another option that I like. Somebody said that they put ten inchers in. I have seen C30's where they have a lot more space between end of toe rail and pulpit stanchion.
Paul

Paul
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

scotty

I was able to put the 8" cleats on my boat without cutting holes for access.  It was a bit of a contortion, but I was able to put them on with backing plates.
Scotty

Jeff Tancock

I am about to attempt this cleat addition as well. I was under the impression that I would have to restrict my choice of cleats to ones with only two fasteners as there was no room for four legged ones. Looking at your photo makes question where I read this......Anyone have some thoughts to help clarify this for me?
Thanks!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Set2sea

Quote from: Jeff Tancock on May 24, 2013, 07:03:28 AM
I am about to attempt this cleat addition as well. I was under the impression that I would have to restrict my choice of cleats to ones with only two fasteners as there was no room for four legged ones. Looking at your photo makes question where I read this......Anyone have some thoughts to help clarify this for me?
Thanks!

Jeff,
After I cleared out my anchor locker, climbed in and open the existing beckson port on the forward anchor locker bulkhead, stuck my arm in and reached toward the new cleat area port and starboard, I wondered if the job can't be done without new ports on side walls of locker. Not that it is going to be an easy reach! I would rather have some pain in one project instead of creating two projects (Second being cutting for becksons, mounting and bedding them)?
Having said this, I have my cleats to install. I have a hole saw for 4" beckson ports. If it is too much of a PIA to reach thru existing, I am going to cut new. What I don't understand is why it is said that you can reach one side with existing beckson and not the other, where the beckson seems to be on center of boat?
Because of the bumpout on the starboard inside anchor locker wall, any newly added beckson won't be as close to the starboard cleat as is a newly added port side beckson. (Guess that is whay people were saying 4" on port and possibly bigger on starboar?).
It's supposed to rain all weekend up here, so not sure I can get'er done this weekend?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Set2sea

Jeff sorry, I just realized I wasn't even answering your question when I quoted you. I guess what I would add to that is the Schaefer 8 inchers I got from Defender Marine are two really big beefy studs. 14mm which is .546 diameter. You aint going to break those. If it is going to be a tough reach in there, I would rather deal with 2 larger nut/washers than 4 smaller ones. Plus, two leass holes for leak possibilities. Of course if you don't like that cleat for other reasons then . . . Like I said, I would rather go 10", but 10" would be too tight (I hear that all the time!)
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Jeff Tancock

I too am going to try to install the 8" cleats though the single inspection port. I am just wondering if a 4 legged cleat will fit there with washers/backing plate. It just gives me different options regarding cleat selection. Anyone have comments?
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

Jeff : If you fingers are nimble and you can pretzel your arm I'm sure that you can handle getting the backing plate and 4 nuts on them.

Paul has a point that it is easier for him (and me) to work with two larger 1/2" hex head bolts rather than four smaller 1/4" locknuts. 

I also liked the "heft" of the Schafer 8" cleats & 14mm studs. Also I used the stainless Schafer "backing plates" on the top deck to cover the old holes from the old 6" cleats had I removed.  I made new backing plates!
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Young

Do these bow cleats need a backing plate, or are fender washers enough?
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Dave Spencer

Brad,
I'm certain that "Practical Sailor" had an article about this subject some time ago.  I'll search my collection and see if I can find the specifics.  As I recall, the answer is that backing plates are certainly required and that fender washers alone will almost certainly "dish" in high load conditions thereby imparting high concentrated loads to the hull.  Since cleats can be heavily loaded, especially with repeated shock loads, there should be a backing plate.  IIRC, fender washers would be OK against a hardwood backing plate.  I.E. Although a stainless backing plate may be preferable, hardwood and fender washers will do it if you have the space.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Paulus

I have used the 4" round port a few times, it does let you put some skin into a project.  It can be done.  I think that Stu offered a great idea which I am filing away for the future.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Brad Young

Looks like I will get some backing plates made.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Dave Spencer

Good idea Brad.  I haven't search my Practical Sailor collection yet but here is a partial answer.  The "Drew" referenced in the piece is Drew Frye who tests and writes for Practical Sailor and runs the very useful Sailing Delmarva blog.

http://smallboatprojects.blogspot.ca/2016/01/fender-washers-basically-useless.html
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Brad : If you don't get stainless backing plates made here is another thought. 
I also have used 3/16" Lexan (polycarbonate) as a backing plate with SS fender washers on the outside of the Lexan.

Just make sure that your bolt length is long enough.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Young

I went with 3/16 aluminum backing plates
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84