beckson ports

Previous topic - Next topic

George Bean

Does anyone have a solution to the crazing on the newer ports and hatches?  I was wondering if one of those headlight restoring kits would do the trick.  I'm not wild about spending the big bucks to replace the lenses.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Sue Clancy

Crazing is a completely different thing than hazing.  Crazing is much deeper and is caused by something in the production process that weakens the material.  I don't believe anything other than sanding layers off the hatches will work.  I found this article interesting on the topic.  http://selectplastics.com/?p=132
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Ron Hill

George : Sue is correct, crazing is a series of small CRACKS.  You can't polish out cracks!! 

The best protection for your hatches is to prevent crazing, is to make a sunbrella cover and keep them covered when the boat is not in use. 
A sunbrella cover over the Vberth hatch also protects against - "moon burn" at night.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

George Bean

So, my hatches are already crazed.  Has anyone replaced the damaged hatch lens, and if so, how?  Or am I resigned to spending big bucks at Lewmar?  I was hoping that I could sand with 400 - 600 grit and then polish from there.   :cry4`
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Roc

George,
If your hatches are very bad, it's probably worth trying extremely fine grit sand paper (600 or much finer). I've seen 2000 grit in auto part stores.  You might want to try wet sanding.... Worth a try on a small section.  If it works, great..   If not, you're still with a crazed hatch....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: George Bean on July 15, 2015, 10:53:38 AM
So, my hatches are already crazed.  Has anyone replaced the damaged hatch lens, and if so, how?  Or am I resigned to spending big bucks at Lewmar?  I was hoping that I could sand with 400 - 600 grit and then polish from there.   :cry4`

George,

It all depends on how deep the crazing is.  If you think it's only on the outer surface, then Roc's idea makes sense.  If they go deeper, then it won't work, as previously described.

IIRC, there have been some discussions on our board about redoing lenses only.  I'll see if i can find some.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: George Bean on July 15, 2015, 10:53:38 AM

George,

I did a search on "lenses" and found this one, there is a link in Reply #3 that shows how to with pictures.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4389.0.html

You might also do your own search on "forward hatch" and see what else you may find.

If you do your own search on "lenses" there may be more there that would interest you.  I got two pages of "hits."

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Charlie,
I have McGuires Plastic polish/cleaner on board you can use and see if it works for you. It does help on fogged lenses. See you at the lake.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Hill

George : Even with 3000 grit paper you'll never sand crazed lenses to where they are clear!!!

Just bare your pocket book to Select Plastics (not Lewmar)!! 

After all "you are a yacht owner!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788