beckson ports

Previous topic - Next topic

sailaway

My cabin portlits have become not clear do to age and cleaning agents. Is there any thing I came do to clear or resurface them. Charlie

mregan

I don't think you can clean them.  Replacement lenses are available at catalinadirect.com.

Ken Juul

I got my replacement lenses through Selectplastics.com  They usually have a booth at the major boat shows.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

patrice

If they are just dull, with no cracks.
Anyone here have try the kit they sell at autoparts to refinish, repolish car headlamps.
It could worth to try before buying new ones, they're probably expensive.

Just an idea.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

They are $38-$47 each at Catalina Direct.  Depends on size.  If you can buff out the dullness, let us know how you did it.  You can't see anything out of any of mine.

dvreyn

I polished mine with Meguiars Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish.  If you do it by hand, you'll rub alot, but it does a pretty good job.  It's eaisier if you take the lens off & work on a flat surface.  At West Marine-I think it was about $12.

Ron Hill

Guys : You can buy McGuires Plastic polish/cleaner and most auto parts store fro a few dollars!! 

It does a great job an making hazy plastic clearer.  I've used it with success. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Or you can contact Beckson, who are still in business, and get new ones.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Follow Stu's advice if your port lenses are crazed, because any polish will only take out the smoky haze film left from UV.
Ron, Apache #788

Sue Clancy

Thought this is an old thread, it helped me figure out how to deal with my hazy port lights.  I have the older Beckson opening ports and they were very hazed so much so that it was difficult to see out of them.  I contacted Beckson who recommended Meguiar's #10.  My local autoparts store did not have #10 but had Meguiar's PlastX which is a new formula with #10 and a polish mixed together to remove an extra polishing step.  I used this on both my Beckson ports (no need to remove) and my top hatch just aft of the mast with great results.  Just applied with a soft rag and a minute or so of rubbing on each one and then wipe off excess with a clean rag.  I was shocked at the difference as you can see here in the before and after shots.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

mregan

Wow,
Great results.  I'm going to try it on my top hatch.

anaisdog

holy sh*t, i'll be able to see where I'm going! :-)
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

Guys : As I mentioned that Meguiar's Plastic polish works great!! 

You can use the same Meguiar's on the clear hazy plastic covering your auto headlights!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I was in Walmart today (I admit it! :D) and found that product but was part of a kit. 

Does one buy the kit or try to find just the PlastX?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Sue Clancy

I was able to find just the Plastx alone (not in a kit) at Advanced Auto Parts for $8.99
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT