Electrical Wiring for lights

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi,
I know that there as been lots of threads about electricals wirings.
But I'm about to redo some ( cabine lights and anchor ) and was looking at the Catalina DC wiring diagram.
For the inside cabine lights it is 14ga. wires.
And wires going up the mast they're 16ga.

Just want to confirm that buying same gauge is ok.
Or if there is modifs that should be done.

Thanks all.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Patrice : If I had to rewire, I'd go with 14 gage for everything.  
Look on the internet for marine gage wire in larger rolls than you can get a WM or Defender.  My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I don't have an answer.  Just want to add a what if.  LED's    What if you do a LED anchor light.  Would the voltage drop with differnt gage wire make a difference?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Jim brought up a good point, especially on the weight of 50 ft+ of #14 vs #16 marine grade wire.

Regardless of LED (which is what I have for an anchor light bulb) or not, I'd still rewire with #14 gage wire!!  My mast my thought!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Other than wires up the mast, if I was planning the time to spend rewiring my interior lights, I'd use 12 ga.  Ever notice the drop when you turn the second light on?  Of course, switching to LEDs would resolve that problem.  But I've never felt the need to do so, based on our own energy budget, since we use the trawler lamp and only read for a short time.  I've switched the V berth and galley lights to LEDs.

Another simple way to defeat the light drop is to rewire across the cabin to avoid that long single run that wires take.  IIRC, Ron came up with that idea many years ago.

Your boat, your choice. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Thank you all.
Well that is what I'll do.  Buy 14 ga. Wires.
And while rewiring will check at the fixtures and check bulb types to be able to replace with led.
And for the fluorescent light, will see at replacing whole fixtures.
That will help on power consumption.  We are at a mooring so we cannot hook up to dock power during the week.
I bought a solar panel and gizmo that need to go with it.  So this is part of the spring projectsssssssss.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

I just replaced our galley light with a nice LED fixture from www.marinebeam.com
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Nice fixture Stu,

Had fun over the w-e, reworking the interior wiring.  Found why only Port side lights was working.
Ground was cut where it goes around the anchor locker.  Have no idea how it could happen.

More hours for fun to come
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~