Anchor size

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi,

I have searched and seen some information on this, but nothing definitive.  My "new to me" C34 came with a 16lb danforth anchor.  This is the same size I have on my current C30.  It has always worked well with my C30 even with my brother-in-laws cabin cruiser attached.  My thinking is that the two boats are approximately the same weight as the C34.  On the other hand, it just seems a little small for the size of the boat.  Would I be better off with a 24lb danforth?

I know choice of anchor is similar to religion - everyone has an opinion.  I have always used danforths and they seem to work well for conditions here in Nova Scotia.  I really am looking for advice on size.

Thanks so much,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

Greg : I'm  on the boat right now and don't have a catalog in front of me, but usually West Marine has a chart with the different kind of anchors and a range of boat lengths.  This is a good starting point to get an idea on anchor size.

I have a Bruce 33# and an 1850 Danforth (deep-set).  I also use 50ft of chain. 
I'm happy and I'm sure you'll get many recommendations.  Good Luck!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Greg, the "101 Topics" sticky has this anchor system sizing information:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6)  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.htmlhttp://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30400.html#msg30400

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stewartn

After lot's of study and converstions I installed:

Rocna  34#
34' 1/4 Chain
250' 9/16" Twist Nylon

Everything works well. Only problem is Windlass has only rope gypsy. Means you end up hoisting anchor and chain manually. That's 70 lbs.

Now you know why I am partial to places with installed moorings.

Rgds,
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Hawk

Greg,

Bay of Fundy...? I'm out here on the west coast in paradise and even so I use a 33# anchor. I think the anchor sizing charts has our 34's in that size range. It allows for a better sleep at anchor, I've found.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ralph Masters

I used the big Danforth that came with the boat for a while and it always held great, I have upgraded to a 22 lb claw because it fits on the "short roller"  I will upgrade to a 33 lb claw after I install the anchor windlass.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

waterdog

I started with a 22lb Bruce and upgraded to a 33lb claw.     I have dragged it around a few anchorages.   Wish I had saved my money.   Love my 44# Rocna.   I have slept comfortably with it all over the west coast.   

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

DarthOccam

When we bought our boat, it had a 22# Delta.  Upgraded last year to a 35# Manson Supreme and couldn't be happier with the decision.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

waterdog

Quote from: ghebbns on April 27, 2013, 12:53:17 PM

I know choice of anchor is similar to religion - everyone has an opinion.  I have always used danforths and they seem to work well for conditions here in Nova Scotia.  I really am looking for advice on size.

Yes but my religion promises a better path to heaven...   (I practice Rocna and used to proudly boast about it until some quality scandals at the temple - I could be persuaded to convert to Manson).

You like your Danforth.   I imagine you generally anchor in soft mud?   They stick well.  There are other choices that reset better if you venture into areas where you will expect tide shifts or wind shifts or other bottom types.    I used to use Danforths and we would typically have anchor watches at night if the wind was shifting and blowing >25 knots.    

The only thing that keeps me awake at night now is somebody upwind who follows the wrong religion :)

I was playing poker on the boat the other night in Mannion Bay.   It was blowing 30+ knots.   We were leaning over one way then the other as the wind gusted.    In the morning there was a 30 foot power boat high and dry on the beach.  Heathens.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Steve knows anchors.

Please, please, please understand that Danforth-type anchors are great for one thing: ONE way pulls.  Not to knock the anchor, but when the wind shifts or the current switches, Danforths are NOT your choice.

Your boat, you choice, what's your boat worth to you?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."