Mainsail Halyard source

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Getting ready to replace the main halyard.  Looking around I ran accross the "Instant Line Estimator" through another forum (Catalina Owners). 
I did a quick check and it came up with the following:
3/8 Samson XLS double braid (green tracer)
whipped on one end and on the other an eyesplice with a Ronstan Headboard shackle (1/4")
105' of line  (seems about 15 short?)

$131.00  seems like a great deal but I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this particular vendor.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : 105 ft will make it, but you won't have a bunch of extra line. 

The 3/8" Sampson XLS line is a good choice. 
I prefer a no splices as then in 5+ years I can end for end the line and stagger the wear.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right, measure carefully, better more than less.

We have a BOWLINE on the headboard shackle, which is, IIRC, a Wichard shackle with the blue head.

Time for us to swap it out, end for end, but I'm still waiting for Ron to show up to do it for us. 

I figure the easiest way out is to reduce one end by about a foot, kinda the length of the figure eight at the cockpit end.

LONGER is MUCH better.  :D:D:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJerry

Kevin, I just installed 120' of Samson 3/8" for my main halyard on my tall rig. Just right with enough extra line to cut a foot off every couple of years and tie on with a bowline. Sorry, but the 105' sounds way too short.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Les Luzar

I agree with Ron and Stu.... Longer is better, and I too have a bowline knot on my main halyard schackle. Simpler is better for me. When I notice the line is wearing, I simply cut the line, heat and whip the end, and retie the bowline (I may even try the halyard knot). Just another thought.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Jim Hardesty

All good advice.  I'd buy the longer length.  Whip both ends.  A bowlin can sometimes be a little too long to get full lift on the sail.  Also doesn't work well with my roller furling main.  Here is the knot I use.  Don't want to claim that it's a better knot.  But, it works well for me.  BTW the shackle shown isn't a haylard shackle.

http://www.jeanneau-owners2.com/hintsandtips/id137.htm

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Steve McGill

Kevin,

On the length I agree, 105' is too short. The owners manual for the MK1 shows std 115' / Tall 119'. I find on my rig the 115' is sufficient.

Good luck,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Les Luzar

Jim,
That looks like the halyard knot to me. It is supposed to hold well and it is more compact, which is good on the a halyard. :thumb:
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Kevin : After seeing/rereading that your C34 is a tall rig I retract my recommendation that 105' is OK - 105' will be too short !!
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

So who doesn't enjoy sitting in their cockpit on a nice windless day splicing up a halyard and being proud of their work afterwards?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677