swim platform added

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Quote from: mregan on July 10, 2015, 03:47:24 PM
Patrice
Looks good.  I'm in the process now of building mine.  Did you get a 3 step ladder or 4 step?  Any thought of putting slots in the platform.  Another site was mentioning you needed slots to relieve water pressure if you get any wave action.  Seemed to be more of a powerboat issue but got me thinking.
When you climb up the ladder, what do you grab onto to pull you up on the platform?

Hi,

I got the 4 steps ladder, goes a bit more deeper in the water, easier to climb on from a swim.
When we climb up, at the top of the laddder there is a round bar to grab at first (can see on last picture), then the step on top of the platform are about an inch away from transom that give us the next grab.

For the slot in the platform, did not realy looked at this.  This was supposed to be temporary at first, but ended up just fine for our need.  We sail on lake champlain, and won't have major wave here.  Even if we did sail on big wave, to us here on the lake  :D  we did not have any issue.  Maybe if you you sail on the open sea, it would be different.

If you have the standard swim ladder on the transom, I cut the 2 steps close to the support in the middle, to be able to spread the lader appart and leave the support in place.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

Thanks. Another question on the ladder.  When it is closed and stowed, to the steps hang out past the platform?   I was looking online at the retractable ladders and it looks like if you mount the bracket at the edge of the platform the steps will hand out past it.  If you mount it back so the steps are hidden when closed, when open, the steps will be a couple of inches under the platform which may make it hard to climb up.

patrice

Quote from: mregan on July 13, 2015, 10:12:55 AM
Thanks. Another question on the ladder.  When it is closed and stowed, to the steps hang out past the platform?   I was looking online at the retractable ladders and it looks like if you mount the bracket at the edge of the platform the steps will hand out past it.  If you mount it back so the steps are hidden when closed, when open, the steps will be a couple of inches under the platform which may make it hard to climb up.

Hi,

When in the closed position, the steps protrude from platform.
If you try to mount all under, then it will be hard to get to the top step when going down.

I mounted the assembly side rails about 1'' - 1 1/2'' max in.
Best is when you'll get your ladder, you'll see what makes you more confortable for the distance.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

I think my ladder and platform will be in tomorrow so I'll be able to play around with it.  I'm going to make mine out of Starboard. 

The stainless should be in for the brackets in a day or two.  Having the guy next door weld them up for me.

I'll post pictures when I'm completed.

Bobg

I made a swim platform like patrice, (exactly like patrice) thanks patrice..my 4 step ladder is mounted under so it does not protrude when stowed, not a issue for me or my swim partners, I really really like it, when on a lazy sail some actually stand on it when under way, hanging on to the boat only at 1-3 knots, also it is now the new mens room (if ya know what I mean)  anyway, can't believe I didn't do this years ago. today my lady sat on it while at anchor and read a book.

I am making one for a friend , this will be out of 3/8" checker plate aluminum.  It is what I have laying around.  Also, my transom is at 22 degrees, be suprised how a couple degrees makes a difference.  first brackets were 25 degrees, made the platform way off.  tried to do it on the hard, will post a picture one of these days, or just look at patrice's, my platform is a little thicker tho
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on July 16, 2015, 09:12:48 PM
I made a swim platform like patrice, (exactly like patrice) thanks patrice..my 4 step ladder is mounted under so it does not protrude when stowed, not a issue for me or my swim partners, I really really like it, when on a lazy sail some actually stand on it when under way, hanging on to the boat only at 1-3 knots, also it is now the new mens room (if ya know what I mean)  anyway, can't believe I didn't do this years ago. today my lady sat on it while at anchor and read a book.

I am making one for a friend , this will be out of 3/8" checker plate aluminum.  It is what I have laying around.  Also, my transom is at 22 degrees, be suprised how a couple degrees makes a difference.  first brackets were 25 degrees, made the platform way off.  tried to do it on the hard, will post a picture one of these days, or just look at patrice's, my platform is a little thicker tho

Make sure they have shoes on when stepping on the sun-baked aluminum.  Blister city!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bobg

I have tested a piece with white epoxy paint, laid it in the sun  stays cool enough
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on July 19, 2015, 05:43:22 AM
I have tested a piece with white epoxy paint, laid it in the sun  stays cool enough

Ahhhhh.... hadn't realized you were painting it!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bobg

ya, and lake superior is pretty cool up here anyway, wanna go with what i have laying around, get tired of all these inflated prices cuz we have boats.  I figured if it got too hot I would screw wood to it. it is only 16 by 21"

mregan

Just finished my platform this past weekend.  Used 3/4" plywood  and bolted 3/4" anti skid Starboard on top of it.  Was going to use 2 layers of 3/4" starboard but it wasn't sturdy enough.
Built mine more for the kids to use but it is great to get on/off of the paddleboards and dinghy.

mregan

Another picture of the underside.  Not sure why it came out upside down, it's correct on my computer.

fixed - Stu

patrice

Hi mregan,

Nice one.
question, from picture of the bottom, did you protect your wood ?

You will enjoy it a lot
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

I did. I have 2 coats of a 2-part penetrating epoxy painted on. 

Damifudo

I am going to be a swim platform on my Catalina 30.  Does anyone know that angle of the Transom?   I am going to have the platform made from a company called Pasteak.  Thanks for any information you can share to help me with my project.

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP