swim platform added

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi Damifudo,

Looking at your setup, you might want to add a stern step between the platform and the top of stern.

Look at page 3 reply #41 in same thread, you'll see at the pictures the step, will make climbing aboard even more great.

enjoy
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

garyw

Hi

In precontemplative stages for this project.   

Not sure whether to use the existing ladder or put new brackets in the stern to support the platform

For those who used the existing ladder - patrice,   not sure what is meant when you say:
you made a bracket that is hung and clamped from the existing ladder.   How did you do this.

For those who put in new brackets , where would I get them from  ?

Thanks

Gary W
Catalina 34 Summer Wind
Boston

patrice

Quote from: garyw on March 19, 2016, 04:03:21 AM

Hi

In precontemplative stages for this project.   

Not sure whether to use the existing ladder or put new brackets in the stern to support the platform

For those who used the existing ladder - patrice,   not sure what is meant when you say:
you made a bracket that is hung and clamped from the existing ladder.   How did you do this.

For those who put in new brackets , where would I get them from  ?

Thanks

Gary W
Catalina 34 Summer Wind
Boston

Hi Gary,
For my installation, I did remove the existing ladder, but left the support on the transom.
The bracket I made is like a big 'U' upside dowm, and is hung from the ladder support left in place.
From the 'reverse U' bracket I welded the platform support.
I made this type of support because I did not wanted to drill the transom to install platform bracket.

If you look at page 3 reply41 on this thread, you will see my picture.
And page 2 reply16, you will see the clamping to hold in place.
Let me know if I can help more on description.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

garyw

Thanks patrice

not sure what kind of clamp you used

and for those of us who would have to buy brackets if we go in that direction  , where would we get them

Gary W Catalina 34  1986  summer wind

mregan

You could have any metal fabrication shop make them.  Or a heating/air conditioning company should be able to do them.  I bought some 1" round stainless tubing and used that as my 45* support.  The L shape bracket was made out of 1/8" stainless the fab shop next to us had in stock.  There is a little flex in the 1/8" but once the platform is installed and bolted on, the flex isn't noticeable.  You wouldn't get any flex from 1/4" but I think the 1/8" is fine.  I used the 1" tubing vs. stainless angle iron because I didn't want any sharp edges the dinghy could get caught on.

Damifudo

The step from the platform into the boat is not that high.  The benefit of not having a step is, its really nice to lean back against the flat  transom when sitting there and enjoying a beverage of choice.   We are going to live with it for a while with no step.  one can always be added.  I have the admirals approval that there is no step needed at this point in time. 

Quote from: patrice on March 18, 2016, 04:39:19 PM
Hi Damifudo,

Looking at your setup, you might want to add a stern step between the platform and the top of stern.

Look at page 3 reply #41 in same thread, you'll see at the pictures the step, will make climbing aboard even more great.

enjoy