swim platform added

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: Damifudo on December 17, 2015, 01:34:33 PM
I am going to be a swim platform on my Catalina 30.  Does anyone know that angle of the Transom?   I am going to have the platform made from a company called Pasteak.  Thanks for any information you can share to help me with my project.

I use a cheapo Harbor Freight adjustable level when determining angles:

$3

$$14

$$$22

Those are plenty accurate enough for that need, or a Bosch GLM80 if I need to be precise.

$$$$

Check this out -- notice the curve, so she can fold up against the transom when not in use.

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mregan

I can't remember exactly but I think the angle was around 74* or 16*, depending on which way you looked at it.  I made up some L shaped brackets out of light gauge sheetmetal and taped them to the transom.  Put the level on top and bent them by hand, a little at a time, until they were level.  Brought them to the guy next door and he welded up the brackets out of stainless based on the L brackets.  If you go to any heating and air conditioning contractor near you, they should be able to give you a couple of scrap pieces of 24 or 22 gage metal to use.  Sturdy enough to hold shape but light enough to bend by hand.

Bobg

I used a magnetic angle finder from harbor freight, my transom is at 22-23 degrees, be surprised how far off you will be with just a couple degrees off.  First one I made was 25 degrees, very noticeable that it was very far off and I had to do it over, I bolted all my angle iron brackets together so I could change them if needed, glad I did.  I  recommend the boat be in the water when finding your angle
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Damifudo

Ok now I am ready for my brackets but I wanted to keep the platform down low on the water but I am afraid to keep the bolts too close together.  My swim Platform is 36" wide by 22" long.  The taller you can get the leg against the transom the less force on the bolts and backer plate and fiberglass.  I went from a 6" x 22 bracket to a 10"x 22 bracket.  Is there any issues with two people on the platform at one time? one holding the dingy while the other gets in?  I can imagine there are times you will have two people on the platform at one time.  I am worried about the force on the fiberglass and the brackets bolts. 

Any advice?

mark_53

Quote from: Damifudo on February 03, 2016, 03:50:57 PM
Ok now I am ready for my brackets but I wanted to keep the platform down low on the water but I am afraid to keep the bolts too close together.  My swim Platform is 36" wide by 22" long.  The taller you can get the leg against the transom the less force on the bolts and backer plate and fiberglass.  I went from a 6" x 22 bracket to a 10"x 22 bracket.  Is there any issues with two people on the platform at one time? one holding the dingy while the other gets in?  I can imagine there are times you will have two people on the platform at one time.  I am worried about the force on the fiberglass and the brackets bolts. 

Any advice?
Put two or three five gallon buckets on the platform and slowly fill the buckets with water until you reach 150 percent of the weight of two people. If you see signs of buckling, stop.

mregan

Our platform is about 18x36.  I think my brackets are about 10" x 16".  We can have 2 people on the platform no problem.  Even had 1 adult & 2 kids on no problem.  The key is the backing plate to spread out the load.  I used some 1/8" thick diamond plate 14"x4".

dbpaul

Use your cell phone to check level..........

Water in 5 gal bucket weighs 42 lbs and if you use salt water add 3-5 % to weight.

paulj   
         :abd:

Damifudo

I finished the swim platform today.  I think it came out great I can not wait till it is in the water and I can sit or stand on that back of the boat and enjoy my coffee watching a sun set or sunrise.  I love the ladder.

Damifudo

another picture.

Phil Spicer

Excellent job on your platform and brackets. Nice design. Looks like you could square dance on it. You are sure to enjoy.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

mark_53

How do you get from the boat to the platform?  The first step looks like a big one.

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

mregan

Looks great.  I've got the same ladder, works really well.  So much easier to get in and out of the dinghy.

What did you make the platform out of, looks very sturdy

Only recommendation I would make would be to grind down the corners of the brackets where they hang below the transom.  You wouldn't want the dinghy getting caught on one and rip.

Noah

Nice swim step! Have you explored the rusty water weeping from your rudder?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Damifudo

Yes rusty water from from a faulty repair from before it was a deep blister that had filled with water.  The rudder has been repaired and new fiberglass added.    The brackets are stainless steel I had a friend make for me.  I know it is a lot easier to get in and out of the boat on land now.  I can only imagine it will be a huge difference once it is back in the water.