swim platform added

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Patrice, looking at your picture, it appears you took the lower stern pulpit rail off , do you have any issues with that? that rail is always in the way when getting into and out of the boat.  Very nice platform  thank you Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

thanks stu, after scroling down and seeing that, I sure felt foolish.  Lots of good ideas, just when you got the boat the way you want it, you see stuff like this, time to get to work again.  Which is really kind of fun stuff to do.  (the not necessary fun projects)  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

patrice

Hi Bob,

As you saw in the other thread that Stu showed, I did not had to cut the pulpit bottom rail.  It was like that.
But we REALLY like the platform.  Yes the dinghy can go under, so boarding or out, is a lot easier.  Just take a step down in the dinghy.
My support are not as nice as the one that stay under the platform, but since I wanted to try a platform, if we would appreciate it, without drilling holes in the hull.
So that I made the support hanging from existing step.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

What is the depth of the platform?

Brad Young

Brent, would you make your step any wider, if you had to do it again?

Patrice, how wide is your swim step?
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

mregan

I don't mind the middle support rail.  I like to lean back against it while I'm sailing.

I was looking at Marine Liquidators online. http://www.themarineconnection.net/LaddersPlatforms.html  They seem to have a bunch of swim platforms in stock.  If I can ever remember, I'm going to make a cardboard template with the size I want then email the dimensions down to them and see if they have something in stock.  I think I would make mine the width of the transom.  I built one for my last boat and the kids really liked sitting/jumping off it so for me wider would be better.

Sorry can't get the picture below to come up as a picture.

http://store.themarineconnection.net/auto/zoomview.php?picture=dscn0382a.jpg&domain=themarineconnection.net&copied=YES

patrice

Hi,

The platform is the same width as the transom at the level it is standing, and about 14in. deep.
As it goes away from transom, there is an angle, about 10 deg and made big radius, about 6in at the outside corners.

I don't have a picture from top, will take one next w-e.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

Patrice
Do you notice any flex in the plywood if you are standing off to one side of the platform.  I'm thinking of making one out of StarBoard pretty much like you made.  Not sure if I should go 3/4" or 1" thick.

patrice

Hi.

I used 3/4" plywood.
The flex is not very noticable.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Bobg

just finished and sea tried my new platform, looks like patrice's, I used 3/4" plywood, and added 3/8" plywood to it, then fiberglassed both sides with fiberglass cloth, I had a piece of aluminum plate i put on the bottom, then put a 4 step telescoping ladder under there, I painted it with topside paint and sprinked sand on it, I really love it, very sturdy, zero flex, I will post picture later

patrice

Hi,

Finally, here are more pics from top and side close-up.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ken Juul

So very functonial and looks great too.  I'm so glad the admiral insisted on a walk thru transom.  Not sure I would have had the patience/fortitude to put something like that together.  Please document it in the tech wiki.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Noah

My dog insisted on a walk-through transom too...but all he got was a walkover ladder with a sugar scoop shelf transom. He's not happy, nor graceful climbing the ladder.  I stand on the sugar scoop stern/step and heft him with his life jacket strap onto the boat. Fortunately he is a willing to please 35lb mini-Labradoodle, so not too much of a lift! :cry4` :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mregan

Patrice
Looks good.  I'm in the process now of building mine.  Did you get a 3 step ladder or 4 step?  Any thought of putting slots in the platform.  Another site was mentioning you needed slots to relieve water pressure if you get any wave action.  Seemed to be more of a powerboat issue but got me thinking.
When you climb up the ladder, what do you grab onto to pull you up on the platform?