5 ga jerry cans for port cockpit locker

Previous topic - Next topic

fulvio

When I bought my boat back in 2000, it came with two 5 ga jerry cans that are the perfect shape to fit in the port cockpit locker, plus a smaller 2.1 ga can.  Now they are showing their age, and since I just installed a brand-new fuel tank, I wanted to replace them, too.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any cans just like the old ones.  After a bit of searching, I found these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B7RP62

From the picture, they looked to be the same ones I have, so I ordered them.  Yesterday when they arrived, I tried them for fit, and they are just about 0.5" too tall and long.  I could make do, but I know it will be a pain, as they won't go in straight like the old ones.  (Not to mention that silly spout, but I can live with that.)

Does anyone know the cans I'm talking about, and where to find them?  The brand of the old ones is Blitz, but I could not find the equivalent online.
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA

Ron Hill

fulvio : I've found that the selection of diesel jugs (yellow) is very very limited - especially in size!!!

Happy Hunting in your quest for one of a certain size.  I wanted to find a new 2.5gal diesel jug, only to find that I have the "last known living one in captivity".  All kinds of 5 gal, but no 2.5 gal!!  Good luck    
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

fulvio, glad to hear you're still around.

The "other" issue with the new cans is that they (may) have the California CARB (air relief ? board) tops.  These things were designed by some lame brained graduate students, with the intent to reduce spills.  They DON'T, they make it a lot WORSE.  They trap fuel, make it almost impossible to pour or transfer fuel and leak like sieves.  I still have a 3 gallon OLD gas container and use that.

If I had an old one, unless it was leaking, I'd keep it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

I usualy agree with Stu, but I think that the "new" fuel jugs were designed by lawyers and politicians, people that would never be seen using a gas can.  Best place to buy, yard sales. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Also check out Home Depot. I got some of the old style there a year ago. Dont know if they still have them.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Joe Kern

Can't help you with the jerry cans but I would not worry about pouring from one if you just get one of these.  Best $10 I ever spent

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Seven-Safety-Siphon-Priming/dp/B000BG1X54

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ralph Masters

The Safety Siphon is the way to go if you are using 5 gal cans.  Don't even get diesel fuel breath using it.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

Those siphons are awesome- I used to use one to fill the wing tank on my first Ultralight.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

fulvio

Thank you all, I guess I'll keep my old cans.

Since I got a very simple siphon hose from West Marine 10 years ago, I never had to worry about pouring, either.
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA