Screws in engine panel

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan

Hi guys:

the screws in my engine panel (at the cockpit) do not keep the panel tight anymore. I cannot use larger (thicker) screws because they will not fit through the wholes of the metal panel. Any good ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Juan

mregan

Maybe epoxy the holes then re-drill.

Stu Jackson

The panel may look like it's metal, but mine is simply aluminum colored plastic.  Tap it to see.

The real trick is what kind of screws.  If they're only sheetmetal screws, they dig into the fiberglass behind, and bigger ones would work.  If they're machine screws, it means there's a nut in the back, which tend to drop off when you remove the panel.  I haven't taken mine off in years, so I don't recall.  Get a mirror and look behind the panel to see what's there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

When I had that problem, I epoxy glued some pieces of wood in the corners where the holes are located, drilled a starter hole, and used stainless steel wood screws and it worked like a charm. Just another idea.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Clay Greene

I had the same problem and replaced the (I think) #8 screws with #10s.  Worked perfectly and now it stays in place.  I did the same thing with the AC/DC panel in the salon. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Juan : A wood backing will work, but the best is to epoxy the holes and re-drill them.
Then do NOT use a screwdriver tip on a drill to re seat them - that's what the factory did to screwup the original hole!  
A regular screwdriver works perfectly, either way you go.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Juan

thanks guys. Very useful!

Juan

Ken Juul

My cure is to super glue a piece of wooden toothpick into enlarged holes and reuse the existing screws.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA