Stern cleats for Mk II

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

I'm considering adding stern cleats on the raised areas on either side of the swim step. Location TBD (see attached photo.) I'd like something better to tie up the dink when we're moored or at anchor. I'd also like to be able to work a stern anchor off the cleat if necessary. So the questions are: Has anyone added cleat(s) in this location, and if an appropriately sized backing plate were used will this area carry the load of a stern anchor? The Herreshoff cleats I'm considering are at Catalina Direct, parts Z1062 or Z1586.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Momentum M

Hi Mick...I don't have the information on the installation of the cleats you may install but I'd be carefull about the constant rubbing of the lines on your seat.  I'd put them where it's impossbile for the rope to rub....before drilling I would try a few spots...and see if it's ok.  I'm sure that a backing plate wouldn't hurt ..more so if you might attach an anchor to them!!!!   That plate can be of any cutoff you might have (if possible SS), the look and shape is not important...you just predrill on your work beach before...then it's just the matter of crawling in...but you'd have to anyway to install the nuts.
Good luck and if you do install them...a picture or 2 is always welcome.
Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Stu Jackson

Cleats work best when the line puts them in shear, even with substantial backing plates, so the location on the left of your picture makes more sense. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

I installed my stern rail extra supports (for the davit install) on the flat surface of those seats.   Plenty of room underneath to get in and secure a backing plate.   Not the thickest fiberglass on the boat so I would be a little nervous using them to secure an anchor.  Also, would need to be pretty close to the edge to avoid the line rubbing.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jim Hardesty

for what it's worth....What's thought of mounting the cleats more outboard a bit lower than the vents?  Think that they would be more chafe free and the seats are still useable.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA