TV coAX cable Help please

Previous topic - Next topic

peterml20

i have a 1990 c34 and have a tv in the salon i currently run a coax cable out the window  to the dock  we have tv at the dock but this does not work well when its raining ect. I am trying to find a device to mount on the outside of the boat that i would hook in for the tv like the power line every time i get back to the boat anyone have suggestions or pictures... it would be so help full thanks all!

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

peterml20

ted how did you find that last night i spent 3 hours looking for something like this on west marine ect. thanks so so much!!!

dvreyn

Or... you could save $150 by installing a barrel connector inside the port coaming space. Run the coax thru the cabinet in the head. Mine has worked great for years.     

Ted Pounds

Quote from: peterml20 on February 27, 2013, 08:45:23 AM
ted how did you find that last night i spent 3 hours looking for something like this on west marine ect. thanks so so much!!!

Just went to WM and did a search on 'TV cable connector'.  24 items popped up.  I knew it was there because I put one on my boat 15 years ago.   :thumb:

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Joe Kern

In just ran a cable back to port storage seat area.  When I need cable i just attach a cable to the line that site in the locker and run that to the dock .  The locker closes with the cable running out of it and the connector is inside so no weather issues.  Not very fancy but it works, costs almost nothing and does not result in another connector plate on my already crowded stern.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

peter : Look in Projects or the Mainsheet tech note and you'll see how I mounted a new digital TV and another article on mounting a Hinkley TV antenna on the top of the mast.

I too screwed around with rabbit ears etc etc and now the problem is solved.  Works great!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Ron
Was mounting the TV antenna on the mast worth it?  My mast is stepped (we step them every year at our club)  I think this is the first time in a long time it has been stepped so at the least a new main halyard is on the list.  I also want to put a Celwave antenna on with something like Belden 9914 RG8 coax.  I did my Allmand 31 that way and my little Standard Horizon VHF was the envy of most every pleasure boat around.  Reception and transmission was literally beyond believable.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com (sorry it appears our .info isn't redirecting as it should so back to .com)  and www.warbirdsix.com

Jim Hardesty

I don't have TV on my boat.  I'll share what a couple of friends have done.  One has a Hinkley antena at the top of the mast.  Works very well as a TV antena, just as well for a bird perch.  To discourage birds he used cable ties with the tail up and glued monifiliment around them.  Another, my favorite, made up an antena and raises it up with a halyard guiding it off the mast with a second line.  Runs the wire down and through a hatch.  It's small hula-hoop sized, made with 1/4" copper tube.  Said he got the instructions off the web. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Steve : If you look closely you'll see that I have a keel stepped mast just like all C34s 1987 thru 1993.

Read my article. I used the heaviest Coaxil cable I could find - satellite dish cabling from Radio Shack.
If there is a station that is in the area I can get it.  I also use it to get FM radio - use an A/B switch.

Trying to keep birds off the top of the mast is just like keeping them off the spreaders and back stay!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 05, 2013, 05:15:52 PM
Steve : If you look closely you'll see that I have a keel stepped mast just like all C34s 1987 thru 1993.

Ron's ideas are great for antennas.

Not all C34s from 87 to 93 were keel stepped.

Why?  Because it was a factory option for keel or deck stepped.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1406.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Ron,

My #854 "Forget-Me-Knot" is keel stepped also.  It's down for the winter so work on it should be easy.  Have you noticed any difference "good or bad" with the loop antenna since the conversion to digital signals from analog?

Steve
story..... Back when I had my Allmand 31 I would hoist a set of rabbit ears up along my back stay.  The problem...keeping the directional orientation correct.  One afternoon I was sailing back to Oconto from Egg Harbor, WI on a heading of 255.  I had to head almost 180 to keep the Packer game on so I could watch it.  Slow game, and I ended up almost a third of the way down to Green Bay before the game ended and I could return on a heading to my home port at Oconto.

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com & www.warbirdsix.com

Ron Hill

Steve : I've been asked that question before and the answer is - the loop does great to pick up all of the transmitted digital signals.

As far as keel vrs deck stepped, other than the first year 1986s all of the price sheets that I have show 1987, 88, 89, 90 as keel stepped Standard Equip.  Stu may be correct on the option, but I've never seen one other than a 1986 and a MKII.   
Sorry for the remark as I learned way back never say never or always when talking about Catalinas!!  
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

Reading your orginal post, I think that what you want is something like this?:

http://www.boatersland.com/hblphtvnm.html

I have one installed on the stern of my boat (specd as factory install by the PO)- but never use it because we don't have TV or phone at the dock.  (It will come in handy if we ever bring the boat down south).  It has a hidden coax cable that runs through to a similar outlet by the nav table, where the PO had a TV. Pretty simple to install I would think, and very weatherproof.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : I've mentioned this a long time ago, but it's worth repeating:

All TV coax cable and fittings are 75 ohms and VHF coax cable and fittings are 50 ohms. 
If they are mixed you'll have impedance mismatch. 
I say that because the guys that worked on my comissioning way back, used TV connectors on the VHF radio cabling!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788