Microwave oven

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

We have a 2001 MKII.  Our microwave has died.  It is installed in the middle cabinet above the stove.  We can't find a replacement that will fit, all are too big. :cry4`  HELP!!

Kent

Jim Hardesty

See reply #4 here 
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6864.0.html
Also might be worth while to open up the microwave and check for fuses and look for things like the door interlock switch.  I've fixed a few microwave ovens by following trouble shooting instructions I googled.  Micorwave ovens are often "built-in" then replacements are cheep enough but won't exact fit.
Hope you find the fit and let us know.  I will probably kill mine running it on the square wave inverter I installed.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Clay Greene

The smallest one I could find to fit in was the Haier .6 cu/foot and that was still too tall.  We ended up expanding the opening by half an inch to get the microwave in.  Works great now but my heart was in my throat as we were cutting into the teak.  I did a lot of research online and never did find a microwave less than 10 inches high.  I don't know if it will do any good but you could call Ken Roy at Catalina and see if they have any ideas.  I think they are putting in the (slightly) bigger Haiers into the C355 - that is what I have seen at the boat shows. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Joe Kern

I have tried and tried and not found anything either.   When you say you cut a 1/2 inch off the opening did you just cut a piece from left to right or did you cut and remove the teak "lip" overhanging the space on the top?   What kind did you end up putting in there?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Clay Greene

Sorry, just saw this. 

The height of the opening was the problem, not the width.  We took a half inch off the top of the opening by cutting up on both sides and then cutting across.  We put in a Haier .6 cubic foot microwave in stainless steel.  We have a bungee cord mounted to internal hooks that goes over the top width-wise to make sure it stays in place.  No problems with that last year despite some 25-35 degree heeling angles in a couple of races (fun!). 

We really like having it off the counter.  Didn't like losing the cabinet but we adjusted. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

tynerj

I found a microwave that will fit just barely (Danby 0.7 cu.ft).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052G14E8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are two small plastic feet in the front that must be removed.  Also in the back the feet are molded from the very thin steel that line the bottom of the microwave.  I gently held the microwave in my lap while I beat in the rear metal molded feet flush with the bottom.  This allowed the microwave to just fit, with the door on the cabinet removed.

Jim Hardesty

Might be worth a try to fix the old one.  I just fixed my home built-in microwave.  Used this as a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tdj3OnlXU

If you need parts, shop.  My GE switch, GE was $22,  local repair supply $5

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

lazybone

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 05, 2015, 04:47:51 AM
Might be worth a try to fix the old one.  I just fixed my home built-in microwave.  Used this as a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tdj3OnlXU

If you need parts, shop.  My GE switch, GE was $22,  local repair supply $5

Jim

Local repair supply.
I used to have four of them within a short drive of my house.  All out of business now thanks to the internet.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Mick Laver

Hi Kent,
I'm not sure if you still have the original door to that center cabinet, but given the limited storage in our boats we found that particular real estate too valuable to dedicate to a microwave. We wound up putting our microwave in the aft cabin (pic). Given how often we use the microwave vs. how many times we're getting at things in that center cabinet it's been a good solution. In your case it'll also give you a lot more flexibility in what you can buy.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA