Hanging wire with Photos

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Any idea what the white wire is for on the port side of the engine
On a different, note, I get no electric at the base of the mast for the steaming light and deck light. Is there a common fuse for them behind the electrical panal? I could not find it.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : Have no idea what the white wire may have been connected to on the starboard side of the engine??

You haven't listed the production year of your boat, but the steaming and deck light should be attached to the same fuse/breaker on your main electrical panel (nav station).  Look in your owners manual on the DC electric page and trace those wires (they are listed!). 
In boats later than 1987 they will go into a single switches that are ganged to a breaker

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

Its 1990, Hull 1022
Its port looking at the engine, facing stern
Nothing is lacking a wire on that side

Craig Illman

My THEORY is that someone was looking for a ground source.   :?

crieders

Thats what I thought and I wonder if it should be grounded to the engine, somewhere?

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I think ypu should trace it out and see where it goes. You could first check it with a meter to see if it has a voltage on it or a ground.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Cliff : From what I can see, your pictures are of the starboard side of the engine - looking down and looking at the side.
One picture has the air breather and the other has the fuel filter in them!! 

Just don't know of any wiring needed on that side of an M25XP engine. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: crieders on November 12, 2012, 11:36:43 AM
...I get no electric at the base of the mast for the steaming light and deck light. Is there a common fuse for them behind the electrical panel? I could not find it.

The steaming and deck lights have two different switches and fuses on my 1986 electrical panel.  If you have a later panel, they'd have separate breakers.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

My guess at the white wire is a ground for something also.  But as said, trace carefully before blindly hooking it back up.  Anything else not working in the cockpit/aft cabin area?

Check the wiring at the base of the mast for loose connections or broken wires.  Could also be bad bulbs.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kyle Ewing

I had a similar wire on Donnybrook.  It turned out to be a ground for an old loran or gps. 
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Stephen Butler

Ours was a blue wire and it was a ground for the loran. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Cliff : I believe that Kyle has the solution, as LORAN needed a separate ground wire.

My LORAN ground wire went to a keel nut, but the engine would have been just as good. 
Ron, Apache #788