Solar Panel Wiring Route

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

I've mounted two solar panels on top of the dodger.  I need to get the wiring inside the boat.  I'm thinking of going through the deck near the port winch under the dodger.  Wiring will come through into the head about 2" from the bulkhead between the head and nav station.  It can then run wire in the seam to the side of the boat where it no longer would be visible.

Thought I'd get other suggestions before I drill the hole.

Thanks,

Paul
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Stu Jackson

Paul, where are you going with the wires?  To the control panel, see:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7033.msg47268.html#msg47268

You might want to try to get into the port locker first and then follow this wiring.

If, however, you are going to your house bank and controller, then getting into the lazarette and then under the aft cabin, engine and galley sole would be a way to get to the battery box.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Paul : Orient your solar panel so the wiring comes off the port side.  Then route the solar wire down the dodger frame (wire ties inside) to side decking above the head, thru that deck (with an antenna coax fitting screwed into that deck) and then lead the wire thru to where the solar controller mounted and it enteries the DC system.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,
QUick question, having the panels mounted on the dodger, you won't have trouble with the boom and sail making shade on the panel ?
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Paul Blumenfeld

Quote from: patrice on August 27, 2012, 05:30:23 AM
Hi,
QUick question, having the panels mounted on the dodger, you won't have trouble with the boom and sail making shade on the panel ?

It hasn't been an issue yet but the clearance is only a few inches.  My dodger may be lower than most.  Shading is not much of an issue at anchor or at the dock as I move the boom all the way to one side.  With two 65w panels I have plenty of power.
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Paul Blumenfeld

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 25, 2012, 05:24:54 PM
Paul : Orient your solar panel so the wiring comes off the port side.  Then route the solar wire down the dodger frame (wire ties inside) to side decking above the head, thru that deck (with an antenna coax fitting screwed into that deck) and then lead the wire thru to where the solar controller mounted and it enteries the DC system.

A thought

Ron,

Sorry I'm not quite understanding where you are suggesting. Go through the side next to the head window?  I already do have the wire going down the port side of the dodger frame.  Just thinking twice or twenty times on where to drill a hole. 

Right now I just have it temporarilly running/hanging through the companionway and attached to the cabin top and around to the electrical panel.  Not pretty and does get in the way. 

Paul
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

foobie

Hello all!

I am FINALLY getting ready to run my solar panel wires through the deck as well!! The only difference being my panels on are on top of the bimini not the dodger. 

Ron: You suggest "an antenna coax fitting". Love it! Much better than a hole with caulk.... being a 12volt neophyte, could you give me any sort of ideas on the specs for such a fitting, or any other ideas of getting the power through the deck in a secure and water tight manner? I am going to be jamming a fair amount of juice though this on sunny days and I am kinda jumpy about it!  :shock:

As always thanks for info!

Foobie
Steve Eckfield

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

foobie

Brilliant! Exactly what I need. Thanks Stu!!
Steve Eckfield

Ron Hill

Steve : Those thru deck coax cable fittings are simple.

There is a "rubber O ring" inside a hex nut, you slide the cable thru the nut. Then as you tighten the hex nut the "O ring" compress like a swedge clamping the cable and making it water tight.
Ron, Apache #788

foobie

Thanks Ron! I ordered them today and will get to it next weekend hopefully.
Steve Eckfield