hinges

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

discovered a couple broken hinges on the boat, port storage lid and the rear lazerett, for the life of me I can't match these up in all the marina stores around here, holes are all just a little off, like a half a hole.  I called Ken at catalina but just get anwering machine, from past experience he doesn't return calls too often.  What have others done, it looks like if I use hinges that are "close" I will have elongated holes when I redrill, thank you Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Roger Blake

Sounds like you may need to fill with epoxy and redrill with the new hole pattern. Good luck matching things up.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

mregan

Check Home Depot.  I found some stainless steel hinges for a couple of lockers that lined up perfectly.

Kevin Henderson

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Les Luzar

I had the same problem with a broken hinge on my anchor locker a few years ago. I order hinges from Catalina Direct and the holes did not line up. My experience with Catalina Direct is that they do not really always carry original equipment, so you always have to be careful before ordering from them.  I checked West Marine and again the holes did not line up. I measured center to center on the holes and continued to search and I wound up finding a used PERKO Hinge at Minnie's Marine Surplus that lined up. Before you give up and epoxy the holes, contact PERKO and check out if their hinges fit. I am not sure if their current hinges will fit but it is worth a try.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

Another place you can try is CatalinaOwners.com

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Bobg : I ran into the same problem as the factory hinges are chromed pot metal!!

I replaced my aft lazerette and the anchor well hinges with stainless 2 3/8" and the holes all lined up. (2 holes on the "hull side" and 3 holes on the "hatch side"

You can go to Catalina Direct and pay thru the nose or look in a well stocked chandelery and get them for about $5/6.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788