Cabin Top Leaks

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  I have several leaks in the cabin top.  I have removed and reseated the traveler (what a job), as recommended in several postings.  My dorade vents were removed by the previous owner, and capped off inside and out.  Water is leaking through the core and into both openings.  That is probably why the PO capped them. I believe the leak may be further up, near the hatch cover area.  There are a few screw holes in the inside cabin top, where screws were removed from a cable that used to be run across the ceiling.  Some drips com through them as well.  They are just starboard of the hand hold, over the sink area.  I believe the leak may be in this area an running down to the dorade holes on each side.  Is there a likely source of leaks around this area, and if so, how can I get to them with the hatch cover in the way. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

noworries

How are you testing for leaks?  Is it raining constantly, or do you sail constantly taking green water over the bow, or are you using a water hose?

Maybe use a hose to try and isolate the problem area?
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Mike McDonald

I'm not taking green water over the bow.  Trying the hose method, but it seems to take a long time to start coming through and it's hard to isolate small areas.  I'll keep trying that unless I can come up with another way.  It's been really hot and dry here lately. Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mike, leaks are insidious and hard to find, almost impossible to help on the internet.  Like wiring with pictures and no wiring diagram...

You did the traveler and dorades (if you've assured yourself that the dorades no longer leak).  The only other things are the handrails and the hatch, plus your mysterious other holes.

Only way to deal with it is one at a time, and do them all, one at a time, or elese you won't know which one is the culprit.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike McDonald

Thanks everyone.  I'll just keep plugging away.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

rappareems

Mike,

I too had leaks, and this year rebedded the salon hatch and mast fitting... (I step through) relatively easy, it has worked thus far and been through some serious downpours.

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

rmbrown

Any luck finding the source, Mike?

I had the main salon hatch replaced thinking that I'd kill a handful of birds with one stone.  I had brown "sap" for lack of a better word dripping out of the plastic interior trim ring, starboard aft screen dog screw.

New hatch drips from same place!  I attempted to remove trim ring, naturally broke it, but can see brown sticking staining on the edge of the opening, starboard side, with no real clear source.  I cleaned it off and will wait for rain, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a hatch betting problem.  Ideas welcome!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

What brand/model hatch has a plastic trim ring? Pics please.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

I tried to post but the 200kb limit is back.  I thought that particular restriction was relaxed?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

More pics!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

I'm referring to the plastic bezel on the inside of the cabin top.  Not part of the hatch, but almost certainly provided by lewmar, I would think.  It's what holds the screen in place.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

Are you looking for a trim ring?  Is that the deal.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

Well, I'll ultimately replace and so I'd welcome a good source if you have one, but I want to stop the "tree sap" from dropping on my table first. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

Yes. Just pm or email when you want to order.
Comes as a kit, trim + screen

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain