Fender Storage Ideas

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

OK... So ... our standard routine while getting underway is having my First Mate (AKA Admiral) :wink: release the fenders from the stanchions and dutifully carry said fenders to the aft cabin down below.  Sometimes, the fenders are wet and as a result some water gets transported into the cabin.  Additionally, the Admiral carries fenders up and down the ladder to and from the cockpit  (could be an accident waiting to happen).  Since I have a MK-I I'm anxious to make beater use of the large lazzerette for possibly storing the fenders.  
I would like to hear from others the types of solutions to fender storage that everyone uses.  
Aside from Waterdogs, aft locker bags refit, I have not seen any suggestions or solutions to fender storage in the Lazzertte or any other solutions.   :abd:

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jeff Kaplan

Kevin, on my 1986 mark1, I store 4 fenders, all my dock lines, bar-b-que, 50' hose and lifesling under the port cockpit seat. No better place to keep everything neat and handy. No need to bring fenders into the cabin area, space is limited enough, and more important stuff to store below...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Flip 'em over the lifelines and go sailing.  Easy to do.  Singlehander's trick: less work.  I do stuff 'em in the lazarette when rascing.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I tie them off on the stern rail.  Not too pretty, but really easy.
Scotty

TonyP

Kevin
I found a nylon bag that happened to be the same size as out starboard rear locker opening (above the refrigerator moor and compressor)
It is deep enough to put in 3 fenders as well as a 4 dock ropes.
Ours is a 91 walk through stern so not sure what you have at the stern.
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Roc

I store mine in the aft lazarette, starboard side (where fridge compressor is located).  I fit 4 of them in there.  I would say, two of them are medium sized and two are large.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

cmainprize

This works for us.  I don't really like the look, but this setup is very easy and quick to store and deploy.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

RV61

For my home dock the fenders are attached to the dock so when leaving and coming home do not have to mess with them.
We store 4 travel fenders in aft lazerette. The admiral made a huge net bag  almost the size of the entire lazette and keeps stuff away from frig compressor and disappearing into the great deep that we put the travel bumbers and spare life jackets and lines.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Volk

Tony,

Is the bag just laying in the locker beside the compressor or is it attached somehow and hanging above the compressor?

Thanks,
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Les Luzar

Like Stu, I usually simply flip them over the middle lifelines and go sailing. This is quick and less fuss. Other times, I tie them off on my stern rail, port and starboard. When I leave the boat for the week, I store them in the cockpit portside lazarette.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kevin Henderson

Wow, I like alot of these ideas... basically I'm seeing the trend towards NOT stowing them down below as we have done in the past

I had tried flipping the fenders over the lifelines in the past but I thought they seemed to interfere with the sheets for the Jib.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

We have our clipped to the bottom lifelines with bronze clips, no knot tying!!!  When you flip them over the top lifelines, they stay in place and remain outboard of the jib sheets.  When we raft up, we simply move the clip to the top lifelines and the fenders are high enough then to match the gunwhale and keep boats separated.  No muss, no fuss.  Why folks continue to fuss with knots is beyond me.

Years ago, I installed shock cord in the lazarette by backing off the screws up at the top of the transom and wrapping the shock cord around the screws and looping to the next screw.  When I put 'em in there, I clip two fenders to one fender's line, and hang one fender with the clips on the shock cords.  Do it twice, I have three fenders on each side.  Needs no bags or any complications in the lazarette.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

We have a set of fenders hanging on lines on our dock.  For a typical daysail, fenders are not anything we ever have to think about.  We also have a travel set of fenders that we store in the aft lazarette loose but the end of fender whips are stored in looped lines attached to the stern side of the compartment so we can pull them out when we need them.  Works for us. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

TonyP

Ron

It is maybe just touching the rear edge of the compressor. I used 2 screws with a washer on each inside edge to secure it to the compartment.

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

waterdog

My fenders have bronze hooks spliced on them.   We generally put them on top of the cabin and clip the hooks on to shrouds.   Keeps the side decks clear and the handrails keep them from rolling on to the decks.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat