Companion Way Hatch - Vinyl Trim

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

This weekend I was down below and because of some cool and windy conditions, had the companionway hatch closed up.  When I slid the hatch back to go to the cockpit it made a "fingernails on a chalkboard"  :shock:  kind of noise that irritated both myself and the Admiral.  Then it occurred to me I had seen something that I think is a vinyl slider for the hatch in Catalina Direct.  Has anybody used this? and is it something that was originally installed and the previous owner of my boat had removed?  On the surface, the slider seems like a good idea and may reduce the friction as it slides back and forth. :abd:

This is what I had seen in Catalina Direct:  Vinyl Trim - Companionway Hatch - 11'

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Kevin : You plight is nothing new.  There have been numerous articles and posts on how to tame that squeal!!

I cut some 3/16" thick Lexan 5' - 6' long 1 inch wide.  I slid it in the track between the hatch "ears" and the deck.  I anchored it at the cockpit end with a recessed flat head screw.  No more noise.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Ron, I would love to do something like you did because mine really makes a nasty noise.  5/16" sounds awfully thick, I would think 1/8" would be a better fit.  How tight is your hatch with that 5/16?
Who did you get yours from?

scotty

Kevin, do you have a TAP Plastics in your area?
Scotty

Michael

Here was our solution:

Supplier:    McMaster-Carr
      Email: cle.sales@mcmaster.com
      Phone: 330-995-5500
      Fax: 330-995-9600

Product:   One (1) roll of
      Part number 76445A762
Description: Strong & Slippery UHMW Polyethylene Tape 3/4" Width x 5 yards Length, .0115" total thickness
Unit price: about $6.10
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry I meant 3/16 Lexan.  1/8" might also work.  Do NOT use acrylic as it's too brittle!!

Another item you might try - is look in some woodworking catalogs for strips of "easy glide" material which will also work.
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Stu Jackson

Ron Hill as one of the first skippers to mention this in very early Mainsheet articles.

My solution has to be "ruthless" in keeping that channel clean.  Sometimes I even use more than just water!

There's a post somewhere (I'll find it) that shows a photo of the water running out the forward end of the teak runners.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

All sound like good ideas.  I too have tried to keep the channel completely clean and even applied some SailKote to reduce the screeching.  If I lay down a vinyl or lexan strip is there additional concerns for water intrusion or dirt getting underneath?

I would like to find a Home Depot solution if I can.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau