Estimating Waterline from inside landmarks

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

This is probably a relatively easy question for you old salts.

But I'm at home doing some project planning and am trying to estimate roughly where the waterline is relative to landmarks inside the main salon?  On a Mark I (1988).

For example - is the waterline roughly at the top salon seats?  Or - half way between the seats and sole? 

Thanks!
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Ron Hill

W : Just out of curiosity, why do you need to know the inside height??

Is it about the height of the water intake to the head!?  
Ron, Apache #788

2ndwish

The sink in our head has a clear drain hose. It is easy to pick off the waterline from that.

WTunnessen

Ron,

I'm planning on installing an AC system and need to figure out where I am going to put the water pump. 

I have an extra seacock under the galley sink area that is currently not in service which I would like to use. This seacock may have been for a discharge for the ice box or for a seawater foot pump.  Either way - its available.   The challenge, however, is where to put the pump.  Space is tight, it must below the water line and a constant uphill gradient should be maintained.

So... what I need to determine is where the waterline runs in relationship to the galley sink area.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

WT,
Here's what I did to figure it out. I had someone hold a tape measure outside of the boat right by the port window on the starboard side by the sink and measure the distance from the water to the bottom of the window (you can eyeball the tape measure from inside) then measure down from that same point inside the boat. Should work.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jim Hardesty

I'm also installing AC, forward under vberth.  I've given a lot of thought to seacock, strainer, pump placement.  My seacock is in, under vberth.  Plan is to put the strainer in the starboard vberth locker (not a very usefull  space but with good access), a small rise from the seacock, then the pump on the same shelf as the AC, a small fall from the strainer.  Is this a problem?  My instructions didn't say about rise and fall, just below water line.
I was cautioned not to use a flush thru hull due to water flow back siphoning and unpriming the pump.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

closing the seacock while underway is my solution for holding the prime.  Unless you are running a generator can't use the AC anyway.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

WTunnessen

Jim

I planning on installing a Dometic Vector Turbo 16000k, so those are instructions I have been looking at.  They have a nice diagram of how they recommend the strainer, pump, and AC unit be aligned.  See page 13 at:

http://www.dometic.com/FileOrganizer/1-international/Operation%20&%20Installation%20Manuals/Marine%20Air%20Air%20Conditioning/L-2484-Dometic-Turbo-Air-Conditioning.pdf

BTW - I going with this unit primarily since its supposed quieter and have reduced vibration compared to previous units.

Cat36#1598

W,

Did you end up installing the Vector Turbo 16K?  I am considering the same unit for my 36 and I am curious to read a review of a new install.  Are you happy with it?  Was it worth the extra $$$$? Hoiw is the sound or lack there of?

There are a couple from Dometic that I am considering mainly because the new controls will fit perfectly over my existing controls and I do not want to build additional trim for a new set of controls...

The Vector is twice the price as the the Dometic EnviroComfort Air Conditioning Retrofit Kit - 16K which is basically what I have now only new.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=98459

Either one should be more efficient (18% on the cool side according to the specs and the plate on my 12 year old MarineAir unit.

Thanks in advance.