Shroud Chainplate Rebedding - Bedding only exterior?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

I have a question regarding the application of bedding compound inside and outside when re-bedding the shroud chain-plates.  I've seen some articles that make the argument that applying sealant on the inside simply forces any water that may get through the outside sealant to take the path of least resistance, which would be directly into the core.  I would be interested in some pro and con feedback on this topic.  Also, I'm planning on re-bedding with Butyl Tape, since it appears to have some advantages with regard to staying pliable with movement, and therefore, maintaining a seal somewhat better.  Your thoughts?
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Les Luzar

Everything I have read or heard is that you should only bed the deck side of deck hardware because you what to know if you have a leak so you can fix it. Furthermore, if you bed the underside of some hardware this may make it much harder to remove in the future should you have to re-bed again. The last thing you want to do is trap water in your decks core, and not know about it. Not only will it rot the core, but when it freezes in the winter it will do additional damage. I recently used buytl tape to rebed my small handrails under my dodger. I was very happy with the results. After the butyl smushed out around the handrail, I used a 3 inch plastic paint scraper with a pretty sharp edge to make a clean cut on the exposed buytl. Then I slowly lifted the paint scraper and the buytl stuck to the scraper and stretched during the pull away. I could then roll up a piece of buytl and dab the remaining buytl for the final clean up and it looked great.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

cmainprize

I concur, only bed the outside.  You want to know if you have a leak. Butyl is a great choice, the only way it leaks is if you lose compression and the clean up is a snap. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stu Jackson

Quote from: cmainprize on April 27, 2012, 04:51:01 PM
I concur, only bed the outside.  You want to know if you have a leak. Butyl is a great choice, the only way it leaks is if you lose compression and the clean up is a snap. 

Exactly.  Well said.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Les Luzar

Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Mike McDonald

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.  I feel more comfortable about the plan now.  I did print out the mainesail article, and was using that as a reference.  Thanks again.
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

mainesail

Quote from: Mike McDonald on April 27, 2012, 03:58:08 PM
I have a question regarding the application of bedding compound inside and outside when re-bedding the shroud chain-plates.  I've seen some articles that make the argument that applying sealant on the inside simply forces any water that may get through the outside sealant to take the path of least resistance, which would be directly into the core.  I would be interested in some pro and con feedback on this topic.  Also, I'm planning on re-bedding with Butyl Tape, since it appears to have some advantages with regard to staying pliable with movement, and therefore, maintaining a seal somewhat better.  Your thoughts?
Mike.....

Please, please, please DO NOT bed the inside! Even if you've "potted" the core it will cause any exterior leak to become trapped against bolts or chain plates trapping salt water that will lead to crevice or pitting corrosion and can lead to a chain plate failure. If the deck leaks you NEED to know about it.

Sorry about the caps but there are fewer things more cut and dry than NOT bedding the interior. It can be dangerous to the point of deadly.. A moldy cushion is far less devastating than a 500 pound 50' spar on a family members head.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

scotty

I want to buy some butyl tape, but can't find the link.  I believe Mainsail is selling some? 
Scotty

Les Luzar

Scotty,
I got my butyl tape in white from   www.pplmotorhomes.com.   I think I paid something like $7.95 per roll if I recall plus tax and shipping.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Volk

Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

SailingJerry

Ron,
I am going to rebed all my lifeline stanchions and shroud plates this fall. On the website you can order two rolls of 1/16" thick and 1/2" wide and  50' long. Is that enough for the job?
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

mainesail

Quote from: SailingJerry on September 01, 2012, 05:40:42 AM
Ron,
I am going to rebed all my lifeline stanchions and shroud plates this fall. On the website you can order two rolls of 1/16" thick and 1/2" wide and  50' long. Is that enough for the job?

Probably three to be on the safe side...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jim Hardesty

When I rebedded my stanchions got backing plates from Garhuser (sp?) low cost and much better than the fender washers from the factory.  They don't show in the catalog but they do sell them.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

foobie

Hey Jim:

I have to pot and rebed all of my stanchions this fall as well. Woohoo! How do I know what size to ask the Garhauer folks for, or are they one size fits all?

Thanks!

foo
Steve Eckfield