Holding Tank Vent Option

Previous topic - Next topic

n624ma

For anyone looking to get rid of the original and probably permeated "water line" hose on the holding tank vent on Mk I's (not sure about Mk II's) here is what I did.

The tubing is 3/4" PEX and the tank elbow simply has a short piece of 3/4" copper tube pressed over the barbs on the original elbow and a "Sharkbite" coupler attaches the PEX to the elbow.

The rest of the fittings are the plastic Watts WaterPex fittings. At the stanchion vent I used a black rubber adapter coupling, all of the bits and pieces came  from the plumbing section of  of the local True Value.
Joseph Rheubeck

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

What was wrong with the barb fitting and hose clamp? Sorry, but to me, it looks like you took something simple and made it complicated. Replacing the hose is a good idea though.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ralph Masters

I like to subscribe to the "KISS" method of doing projects.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

n624ma

Mike,
Good question, the reason for the change was to go to a material that doesn't permeate in two months. Due to the limited clearance above the tank this worked out the best, as sanitation hose wall thickness prevented the locker lid from closing. without flexing  the top of the tank.
Joseph Rheubeck

Peggie Hall

I think you may live to regret using copper in a sanitation system, cuz even fumes from a tank are highly corrosive.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/