Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : I believe that I'd have to get alot more info on that deck fill before I'd install one. 
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I agree Ron. The idea is good but there's no explanation of how it does what it does.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

From the phone code this is a French product.  Appears to be very new, think they are showing at boat shows trying to drum up business.  I could not find any pricing data.  The concept is simple, thinking it could be easily adapted to a DIY project.  I see this as becoming the standard in a year or two.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Peggie Hall

It appears from the drawings that the tank is actually vented into the fill (not sure how well that works!) and the fill is vented to the thru-hull. I'm not sure that meets the USCG safety reg that requires all fuel and waste TANKS to be vented to the outside of the vessel.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Ken Heyman

If the proper analogy is gassing up at the Shell station, there must be enough "back pressure to stop the filling process when the tank and fill tube are "full".

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

I've never relied on the diesel fuel handle to stop itself, like you do with a car at a gas station.  As many of you know, I have never relied on a fuel gauge on our boat and keep careful track of our fuel use.  I refill our boat tank based on my fuel usage (roughly 1/2 gallon per engine run hour tracked over the past 13 years for our M25 engine).  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3841.0.html

When I get within a gallon of my expected refill requirement, I simply slow the hose down and listen carefully.  I'd rather stop a half gallon too short than have fuel run out the vent.

Looks like this idea is an answer in search of a perhaps nonexistent problem.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Peggie Hall

Quote from: Ken Heyman on February 12, 2012, 03:22:56 PM
If the proper analogy is gassing up at the Shell station, there must be enough "back pressure to stop the filling process when the tank and fill tube are "full". Ken

Which may make my point...'cuz I don't THINK automotive fuel tanks are vented.
Peggie Hall
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"

Craig Illman

Auto fuel tanks are vented through carbon canisters to block VOC emissions. If they weren't vented, removing fuel would create a vacuum.

Peggie Hall

Of course they have to be vented...what was I THINKING?
Peggie Hall

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

But isn't the auto shut off feature a function of the pump nozzle? I've never seen a marine diesel pump with that feature.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ted Pounds

All the diesel pumps I've used have auto-shut-off...  They're basically the same as gas pumps just (usually) a different sized nozzle.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Finally got an answer from the USCG. 

"I don't see any problem with this product.  There are plenty of fuel fills in use that actually vent through the fuel fill cap and not though a separate vent line.  The system as designed by Econab meets the Federal requirements." 

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA