Considering air/heat unit

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad Vanino

I presently have portable air and heat units on the boat and am considering installing a central air with reverse cycle to include heat. I have heard that the c34 should have anywhere from 7,500 btu's to 13,500 btu's. I believe that 7,500 is too small. The problem is where can you put a larger unit other than under the V berth? Problem with the V berth is the compressor noice.

Any past experience thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Conrad Vanino
Champagne Lady-C34
Castle Harbor, Chester River, MD
cell 610 207 9382

Jim Price

I have an older Mermaid Marine reverse cycle system installed.  Love it.  Don't have the specs with me at the office but I think it is around 16,000+ btu's.  I cools really fast and heats even faster.  Is loacted under v-berth and noise is moderate to quiet.  More of a "hum" sound.  Actually works well as "white noise" to eliminate some of the unfriendly halyard slaps on other boats in marina.  However, I can still hear close voices as people walk the piers.  I would not go small, as I think a smaller capacity unit is going to run more often and longer cycles, make at least as much noise for longer periods and use a lot more shore power.  Just my opinion.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

stamch

I bought the Marine Airrrrr 16000 BTU split system, with the compressor in the lazarette next to the frig compressor, a 4000 BTU air handler under the aft berth feeding the aft cabin, and a 12000 BTU air handler under the forward dinette settee feeding the V-berth and main salon.  It works well except on the 100 degree days you need a boom tent to keep it cool.  My charterers love it.

Photos of my installation and write up appeared in the May issue of Mainsheet technotes.

Cap'n Stan C34 #114 "Pisces"
Back Creek Annapolis, MD

Cap'n Stan

captran

I have a 97.  It has a mermaid 16000btu heat- air unit.  it's mounted under the dinette seat next to the bulkhead.  It is alittle noisey, but for s florida/bahamas, the air is essential.  we've used the heat a few times to dry things out below as well.  it vents into the v berth and the main cabin.  the original owner didnt install a vent to the aft cabin, which is a mistake.  I'm thinking of running a smaller hose off the existing  hose and get it to the aft cabin.  Ive seen it done.  you lose alittle storage under the seat and under the stove/oven.  My only problem is when I get to the boat in June I want to go...and not hang around port too long.  its tough being 3000 miles from the boat.

Stu Jackson

Bonnie was kind enough to forward the pictures to me.

I sent them on yesterday to Mark Elkin for posting on the Projects page.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Conrad Vanino

Thanks for the details. My e-mail address is ConradVanino@Realtor.com if you can forward any other details, pictures or sketches. It sounds like the minimum should be 12,000 btu's up to 16,000 btu's.

burner

Whatever you do, don't fail to look over Flagship Marine's units.  I have a Marine Air system on my boat, but if/when that is replaced, it will be with one of their units.  A friend on my dock with a Catalina 38 has a couple of their units installed and they're great.  A little cheaper, and during the heat of the past summer, he had a problem with one of his air units.  Flagship's customer service was outstanding...

http://www.flagshipmarine.com/

Ken Juul

This subject was discussed several times this spring.  Use the search function at the top of the page to review that info.  Several different installation ideas.  16000 BTUs seems to be the prefered size.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mark Elkin

Folks,
    Bonnie forwarded her pictures to me and I've added a Projects webpage.  You can see the pictures she mentions in this thread.

Mark
C34 "Projects" webmaster

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin

Mike Smith

Bonnie -

Do you have a genset or other power source, or do you just run the unit at dockside?

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Conrad Vanino

Mike Smith's question is a good one. Does anyone else have a generator or other electric supply source for air/heat when away from the dock on a C-34?

Alohman

We would like (luxury) an AC unit, but as we seldom are on shore power, a generator would be required.  Contacted, Cruisair, I think, and asked the power requirements of a 16BTU unit.  They said it would run on the Honda 2000 portable generator.  Saw one running at the Annapolis boat show.  I say "saw", because it was so quite you could bearly hear it. Regular price about $1100 boat show price was $975 I think.  Puts the price tag for air and generator at about $3500, hence the "luxury".