Mysteries of the Oberdorfer - Seal Replacement - REBUILDING A PUMP w/Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Stu. 

ONLY 810 hrs on the seals?   :cry4` :cry4`
That's like those darn Facet lift pumps that last ONLY 30 years on average.  :shock: :shock:

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Stu,
was it a regular inspection that caused you to notice the oil leak?

I've started lifting the Steps much more often to check for leaks, & belt tension.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Paul,

I check the oil regularly when the engine is cold before I start it.  The level was low, so I popped the steps.  I often check the engine when it's running per the Critical Upgrades tip.

My guess is that the seal(s) let go near the end of my March 1-3 Winter Cruise, on my way home.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

All done!  Fired up and all looks well.  Sea trial under load in a few days.

And, yes, I did install the faceplate before I started the engine.   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Paul and Guys : ALWAYS take a peek at the engine when it is running, especially look at the raw water pump!!  If there is a leak you'll see it happening.  I look at the engine both at the starboard side and in the head at the post side.

Stu, the 12p nail is a great idea.  You need something with a lip at the end to get those seals out without scoring/scratching the pump walls.

Guys : when you change the lip seals don't forget to inspect the shaft and inside face plate for wear

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 01, 2018, 11:41:13 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...when you change the lip seals don't forget to inspect the shaft and inside face plate for wear

I have a new shaft ready to go.  Always.  I used my backup new shaft with the impeller already on for this replacement.  I just ordered a brand new backup shaft 'cuz the one I pulled out had had it.

Geez, only 10 years.  Where's Ken?!?  :D

Before I even thought about putting the old faceplate back on, I just "treated" the inside of it and it works just fine.  Flat is what is necessary.  Not hard to achieve.

KWKloeber

Very coincidental. 10 yrs is exactly what I got on my 1st replacement. But machinist buddy put it on the lathe and took off the score mark at the seal location. 

It lasted another 5!!

Darn unreliable Oberdorfers, nearly as bad as those Facet pumps.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain