Rigging - Storm Jib.

Previous topic - Next topic

c34member

Our baby is now 2 years old and based in Sydney.
We are extending our experience of cruising with our club up and down the Australian East Coast.
Our crew is self and wife so very short handed.
Due to several yachting disasters here recently the Yachting Association has upgraded many safety requirements for club activity.
Most we have overcome however we need the ability to set a storm jib. We are running a furling #1 headsail that we would never attempt to drop at sea in bad weather so neeed an alternate means of setting the storm jib.
Our idea was to have a seastay at the mast that could be placed in position after foiling the headsail and take the storm jib. We seek assistance in ideas in positioning the seastay on the deck or whatever ??
Any ideas will be appreciated.

C34 #1503
Misty Blue
Ian Pritchard
ianpritchard@ozemail.com.au

john daley

I have memories of seeing somewhere a storm jib that fitted over the furled head sail. Can't recall where and I don't know whether its a common or workable solution - just thought I'd drop the idea in. Good sailing.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

skip

Have a gale sail on my C34 if you are interested in knowing more about one.  Have only used it once, but was glad that I had it.   The luff folds over the furled genoa and clips forming a pocket.

John Gardner

The Sail Warehouse at www.thesailowarehouse.com has a gale sail - the type mentioned above that fitts over a furled jib.  The catalogue shows 60 sq ft, 100, and 150 respectively costing $549, 740, and 1045 respectively.  Never even seen one myself.
www.sailrite.com has kits for making the same thing.
Somewhere on this C34 site, I think I've seen information about installing a baby stay, if that's your preferred option.
Good luck
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Rick Niles

Ian,

I also have a Gale sail. It goes over a furled headsail and sheets. You then attach separate sheets. It's pretty easy and fast. But I've never had to do it when I need to. We've just practiced in light conditions.  It will be fine with me if I never use it. But it's a good, high quality product.

Rick Niles
Gentle Storm #1294