outboard motor mount

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Calfee

Last year I bought a new dinghy and 9.9hp motor.  At the time I wanted to get the largest motor recommended for the inflatable and also wanted a 4 stroke.  For one trip I hung the motor on the rail where my other much smaller outboard had been but became fearful that the 94 lb motor would cause metal fatigue and I would end up with the motor and stern rail overboard.  I would like to hear from others who have these heavy outboards as to how they are carrying them on their boats

captran

When I bought my boat I walked the docks and saw several different configurations on C 34's.  One guy had a friend with a sheet metal shop... he had bought a piece of tubing and cut it so that it bent around the rails and was secured with a screw(to use as a T fitting).  It looked very nice.  he had then sandwiched plastic cutting board type material and thru bolted.

Since I didnt know anyone with a shop like that, I copied a different installation.  Cut  two 5/8 pine wood about 8" x 15 1/2".  I can look up my exact measurements in my notebook if you need them.  put in 3/4" 8" long pieces thru bolted , one on top of the bottom rail and the other unerneath the top rail.  This keeps the whole unit very stable.  It is mounted  next to the ladder that folds down (I have a walk through transon, 1997)  If you can picture that, the unit sits between the aft rail seat and the ladder.  I painted it and after 2 years in the florida sun it's still hoding up OK.  It would be better to use a harder wood but I was 3000 miles from home with only a hand saw and drill at my disposal.  One of these days I'm going to remake it with a harder woodor with that plastic cutting material,  and use a router for the rail, which would look eve better.  We are constantly taking the 8 hp motor on and off, as we don't like towing the dingy with the motor on if theres more than a slight chop.  Very secure so far.

Stu Jackson

Randy,

Sounds like a great idea.

Would it be possible to send some photos to Mark Elkin for the Project section of the 'site?

Boat's're gettin' older
Pulpit's kinda thin
Motors gettin' heavier
Any seas I'm in

Still it's good to have it there
Sailboat' sometimes slow
Dinghy lift's all set up now
Dinghy, plane and GO

Stu

(apologies, folks, NO MORE POEMS!!!)

:D :confused:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jentine

I have contemplated what to do with my new 15hp Yamaha weighing 86 pounds for some time and have decided to mount a spring loaded outboard bracket on the stern.  It would serve two purposes.  It would mount the outboard high enough that the unit does not touch the water while sailing and it would provide a spare source of propulsion.
Mounted on the pushpit or the transom does little to balance the boat.  Both put the excessive weight too far aft (especially on the Mark I) where there is little reserve buoyancy. :rolleyes:
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

That's the big trick, regardless of where you hang or store the motor (Al Watson used to lay his inside the port locker, and used the tang on the aft end of his boom to rig a vang to lift it onto the dinghy).

We bought the Garhauer lifting rig, and are absolutely pleased with it.  It's the least expensive, and best built unit available.

Plus, by re-reeving the 6:1 vang through the block before it hits the cam cleat,  I can drop the motor into the dinghy by myself (only if necessary if no crew is available) under complete control.

So, what do you folks with these behemoth engine do to move the four strokes onto and off your dinghies?

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on October 20, 2002 at 12:28 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jentine

I use the davits to lower the motor to the inflatable.  I frequently carry a hard dinghy instead of the inflatable on the davits and leave the motor attached.  For short trips to shore and no supplies, this is easier.
Jim Kane

captran

Stu, I'll look through to see if I have anything that will work.  I can draw a diagram of the details.  Not sure I have any close up pictures of it but I'll look.  At the time I really didnt do anything too special except copy what someone else did.

Mark Elkin

Folks,
    Randy has forwarded pictures from the outboard motor bracket from Captran to me.  I've added these to the C34 Projects webpages.

Mark
Mark S Elkin