Thinking of joining the family - Purchase advice needed

Previous topic - Next topic

NewToTheRoad

Firstly, thanks in advance for reading and helping.

I am seriously contemplating purchasing a 1988 Catalina 34.  I have looked at a number of 30's and have looked at my first 34 and I think she may be the one.  However, I have not shopped around too much and want to make sure I don't make a rash decision.

The seller (quasi broker\wholesaler) wants $33K.  The condition inside and out is excellent.  Finish is great, standing rigging good, some new running rigging and new traveler, newer cushions, new bimini, outside teak all refinished, rails sparkling, 16,000 btu marine A/C, macerator.  Electronics are VHF, a Garmin GPS\Chartplotter, and a belt drive auto pilot.  Sails seem to be in good condition.  Bottom job less than a year ago.  Engine fairly clean, 350 hrs on meter but seems a little artificially low for a 23 yr old boat.

From everything I can tell this looks to be a well cared for and maintained boat.

This will be my first sailboat and intend to use it in FL on the ICW and some protected coastal cruising.  There are just 2 of us but kids and hopefully many guests will be visiting. 

Most of the 34's in this age range that I see online are asking near the mid 40s.  So $33k looks to be a good deal.  I am also wondering if this might be too much boat too handle as I am fairly new to sailing (power boated for 20+ years).  However, we love the stability, roominess, and comfort for weekending and longer trips.

I would love to have some input from all you Catalina experts.  If it is a great deal then my first step would be a professional Survey!
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

Stephen Butler

$33k seems like a low price, particularly for the vessel you have described.  Find a good surveyor, particularly one that knows C34s, and be there with him when he does the inspection.  Also have a diesel mechanic inspect the engine and transmission.  You may not catch everything needing repair, but you will definitely be in a more knowledgable position to make a decision.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

hump180

The C34 was my first sailboat also...not too much to handleat all. The boat is actually a pussycat...forgiving along with good performance. You only live once. If it is a nice boat and the price is right, buy it. I am glad that I started with the 34 and have not looked back. I truly wanted to buy a boat that would fit my needs for many years and not get a boat that I would not be satisfied with. In a market where it is difficult to sell a boat, I found a solution...buy a boat that you will want to keep for a long time. The C34 will be that boat.

Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

New:

It may seem intimidating at first, but as your learning curve progresses you'll look back and think how glad you are you didn't go for a smaller boat.

I went from a 17' canoe to a C34 in one fell swoop.  I had an experienced skipper show me a few things and after the first day I was on my own.  I spent the entire winter reading this forum inside and out.  What a treasure trove. 

This boat sounds like it's outfitted very well for the price, if you're handy and barring any serious problems I'd go for it.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ken Heyman

I have an   "88" ,as well, and my wife and I have been very happy with it. I am generally an advocate of cutting ones teeth on smaller boats and then moving up which is what I did since my family always had boats while I was growing up. Small boat experience has proven to be invaluable.making moorings without the engine-short tacking-trim- etc. On small boats it is immediately evident when you are doing something wrong or right.

That said the 34 is forgiving -perhaps harder to get into trouble, but at 16000 pounds (don't believe the factory spec at 12,000) you will not be able to "muscle" your boat into submission.

I did a "Nada" search and it seems like the 88 34's are selling for about 35K, in Florida, so you are likely getting a fair price.

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

NewToTheRoad

Thanks for the input and encouragement so far.  About 10 years ago I did something similar and bought the biggest Harley made without ever owning one.  Lot's of folks recommended otherwise.  But thankfully I had a good friend and teacher to ride with.  Never was a problem, and obviously I'm still living to tell about it. ;) Living in FL though a boat just makes more sense to me and fulfills another long time dream.  Also, though not exactly alike, boat systems are a lot similar to RV systems and I've owned one for 20 years so I imagine that will give me a bit of a head start.  I guess my only fear right now is pulling the trigger on price but I seem to be overcoming that.  again, thanks for the encouragement.
Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Ralph Masters

Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

scotty

New,  The Catalina 34 is a great boat.  If you buy it, you'll love it.  Before you buy... Have you been reading the critical upgrades and other areas of this site?  I assume you are, because you are posting here.  I wish I had known to do that.  I lucked out and got a good one, but the more informed the buyer, the better the purchase.  Work with the surveyor closely!!!  One other thing is to see as many other Catalina 34s as you can, so that you can compare details.  You might also walk around the dock where the boat is located and ask if anyone knows any details about the boat.  Good luck on your sailing plans.
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

Without a doubt the Catalina 34 is a great boat.  You didn't say if the boat was fin or wing keel.  Does draft and size of the boat fit where you plan to sail and dock or moore?
Jim   
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

NewToTheRoad

Yes, thanks.  I have been reading the critical upgrades.  Great stuff.  Love this community!

And it is a winged keel which works well for me in the Florida Intracoastal Waterway.  If I get the time and or cajones to go to the Bahamas I'm sure it will work well there as well and everywhere in between.. :0

I can't ask anyone at the dock because the boat was only recently moved there from another part of the state where it was taken in trade.  One small rub in the ointment I think is with the keel.  The seller pointed out that there was a prior repair to the front of the keel and showed me pictures of what he feels was a bit of a messy repair job.  This is a bit of a red flag for me as supposedly the boat had a bottom job just over 6 months ago and I would have assumed the prev owner would have maintained the keel to the same level of excellence as the exterior, interior, and topsides which doesn't seem to be the case.  Obviously, it was run aground.  So, if I do go forward I will definitely have it pulled, inspected and have the surveyor make sure that there are no add'l keel or external\internal structural damage. 

Looking into costs of insurance, docking, etc. now as well
Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Roc

Sounds like the boat might have hit the ground HARD.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

Our C34 also is our first boat.  I was looking for a C30 and my wife and (former) boat partner talked me into the C34.  I am very glad that they did so.  It is far cheaper to spend a little bit more money now and improve the boat you'll keep for the next five to ten years than to spend money on a boat you will grow out of quickly.  I would not go smaller for your intended use and the C34 is a solid, stable and comfortable vessel. 

If you have not done a lot of sailing, I would humbly suggest that you spend some money on one of the great sailing schools you have in Florida (J World in Key West is great and I have heard good things about Offshore Sailing School as well).  They can flatten out your learning curve considerably, build your confidence, and make it a better experience for not only you but your family and guests as well.  I know of quite a few couples where the non-sailing spouse refuses to go on the boat because of a bad first experience while the sailing spouse was "learning the ropes." 

In addition to a marine survey, I would suggest that you also have a qualified diesel mechanic take a look at the engine and related systems.  In particular, print out the critical upgrades (for that engine, I would definitely have him look at both the alternator bracket and the engine harness) and make sure that this work has been done or factor it into the price.  It is very likely that the engine hours meter is not working properly so you should not take that as an indication of the number of hours on the engine.  That most likely is a good thing - diesel engines need to be run with clean fuel and oil and and properly maintained.   

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

NewToTheRoad

Claygr,
  You offer great wisdom.  We took the ASA 101 together and plan on doing the 103 as well.  Coincidentally, my partner and I spent Sunday on a very tender Hunter 23 in 10-15 knot winds and lets just say that at times it was challenging (including when we grounded on the sandbar) and come Monday my hands and back were pretty sore from fighting the tiller.  Our tacks were messy and our verbal exchanges reminded me of watching my parents when they used to hang wallpaper.  Not good.  By day's end we both had enough of sailing.  I "may" have uttered on the drive home, "There is no way I'm buying that C34".  Ahh, but a few days later I am back.  We are actually thinking of going out on a C 320 this weekend with a friend to get some big boat experience and smooth out the poor expereince of last weekend.
  NTTR
Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Clay Greene

It sounds like you are going about it the right way in terms of the classes.  I am not familiar with the ASA curriculum but once you get the basic sailing knowledge down, you are going to want some time under power and an experienced hand showing you how to dock and undock, anchor, etc. in different wind and current conditions.  You may think you have a handle on this from powerboats but the difference between a sailboat and a power boat are considerable.  Mess up a tack or a gybe out in the middle of the lake and no one cares.  Mess up a docking and you're a spectacle for all the marina and potentially a hazard to your neighbors.  I wouldn't be speaking from personal experience, of course (I wish!). 

Your experience on a C34 compared to the Hunter 23 will be night and day.  You might check around to see if anyone is chartering a C34 in your area - that would be a great way to get hands-on experience with a C34 before you jump.  Or by walking around the local marina you might find a C34 owner in your area who is willing to take you out for an afternoon - most of us love showing off our boats. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin