Upgrading from Cat 30

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I currently have a Cat 30 and was thinking of upgrading to a 34.  Just wondering if anyone else has gone up from a 30 and how they would compare it.  My primary reason is just to have a bit more space.  My '78 C30 cockpit gets pretty tight when you have more than 4 adults aboard.  Also, we are a family of four and while the v-berth is big enough, trying to sleep on the dinette table berth with one of the kids is too tight for me.  And unless you like the feel of sleeping in a casket, the aft berth under the cockpit isn't a great place either.
I've been looking online at some 1986-89/90 boats.  They appear to be in my budget range.  I'm planning on going to see my first 34 next week that a local broker has for sale.  Anything know issues with the boats in this range?

Thanks

Matt

Stu Jackson

Matt, for starters I suggest you read the sticky topic Older Boat or Newer, I think it's called.  While down below the boats are almost the same, the cockpit on the Mark IIs are significantly different.  I know you used the earlier years in your question, but a comparison of a C30 and a Mark I C34 cockpit shows they are not too different.

I suggest you also do a search on the word "garage."  Really :D!  That's because there are various arrangements that C34 skippers use for sleeping, and that word brings up a lot of discussion about the aft cabin, both pro & con, although the space in the C34, as you most certainly already know, is much different than a C30's quarterberth.

Happy hunting.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sail4dale

we went from a 30 to a 34 MKII  The walk thru stern, the ample forward berth ( I am 6'6"), a really useable  rear berth,
refrig, storage,hot water and generally a huge change.  We did not consider the Mk I as we felt it was not that much of a change. 
Absolutely love the boat for the 9 years we had it.  It is a real lady in unkindly seas too.

Good luck with your search.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

noworries

I went from a 27 to a 34... very happy
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

chuck53

Back from 1994 thru 1998, we had a '79, C-30 that we enjoyed a lot.  We got out of sailing until last year when we bought a '87, C-34.  Cockpit's not much bigger but suits our needs.  A true aft cabin and lots of features our C-30 didn't have really makes it a much more comfortable boat.

Steve Sayian

Matt,

We also went from an '83 C30 to a 1999 MK II C34.  Love everything about the boat.  One suggestion is that if you get one, spend the extra money and get a folding/feathering prop if it doesn't have one.  Makes a huge difference in the light air perfromance of the boat.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

catalinamike

My previous boat was a 1984 Cat 30.  It was a great boat that I enjoyed for 10 years.  In 1998 I bought a 1996 Cat 34 Mk II and never looked back.  Everything below is larger and more spacious.  Great V berth and true aft cabin. More storage space, larger water tanks, etc.   Everything is larger to scale.  Great sailing boat, 4 cylinder Universal is very smooth running.  The large rudder makes the boat easy to handle in tight spaces, but the greatest improvement is the walk thru transom.
Mike Berlin
1996 Catalina 34 MkII,  tall rig, std keel
hull#1321

Ken Juul

My advice to boat shoppers is for you and your wife to make seperate lists of "want" and "don't want"  features and/or equipment.  When finished consolidate into a list you are both happy with and go shopping.  Looking at pictures is one thing, but actually getting on the boat makes the decisions much easier.

I quite often have 5 or 6 adults on my Mk1.5.  Without the stern perch seats it probably would be crowded.  With them plenty of room to trim sails or move around.

Not to steer you away from a 34, but you may also want to look at the C36.  Only slightly larger, but the cabin layout is different.  May or may not fit your needs/wants better.

Don't forget to look at the "Boat for Sale" section under the "General Activities" section.  One in Forked River, NJ and one on Long Island Sound that might fit your needs.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scotty

We also went from a Catalina 30 to a 34 with two boats in between - a 32' trawler (that's another story) and an Islander 30.  Loved the 30, but for us the 34 was a HUGE step in the right direction.   Bigger, mo' comfortable, lots of advantages.  Like Stu suggests, look at the thread comparing MK I and MK II models.  It really does give good perspectives.  My brother has a Catalina 36 - a truly fine boat - but I kind of like the aft stateroom in the 34 better!  I'm a retired school teacher, but if money were no problem, I'd be checking out the 350 or the 42!!  My wife, by the way, thinks the 320 is really hot!  Good luck on the boat search.
Scotty

mregan

Thanks for all the responses.  I've been reading some of the older posts regarding the same topic which has helped.

Les Luzar

I upgraded from a 1985 C-30 to my 1987 C-34 and I must say that all the previous comments are excellent. When I was shopping I was looking at C-36's and C-34's, but if budget was not an issue, I would have been looking at a later model C-36' (this avoids 2 ft itis). But I was on a tight budget and we all have to make trade-offs. Yes the C-34 Mk 1's have a narrower cockpit however they do have a T-cockpit where the C-30 cockpit seats went to the stearn. The C-30 cockpit with a "T" design did not start until about 1990. There is a big differerence in comfort when standing at the helm. The C-34 has a larger Vee Bearth, larger interior volume, and the aft cabin garage. I also liked the location of the instrument panel on the Mk 1's (left of the wheel, port side). It is easy to see, and I always keep an eye on engine temp, which saved my butt a few times in my life. When I purchased my C-34, I thought I would be sleeping in the aft cabin, but ventilation is not so good back there so I sleep in the bow. One other thing to keep in mind is that there are many different changes with the 34 over the years, so each vintage may have a slightly different feel based on the helm design, wheel size and combing design. If I had my druthers, I would like a walk through transom, which are much easier to board and "deboard" onto your dinghy. But for me, I love my 87 C-34, and it is like a good and loyal wife, it's cheaper to keep her than to go for a younger model! However, a bit more storage space would be nice, a microwave would be nice, and that wider cockpit with a walk through transom would be nice. There are many good deals on the market today, so take your time and look at a lot of different boats, C-36, C350, C34's and you can get a better idea of the many subtle differences. Since you have a C-30, I would suggest that you try to sail with some of the C-34 owners in your marina. Then you may understand a little better what I am explaining. But in the end, buy the boat that the Admiral loves. Then you both will be happy!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

scotty

Les, good point about buying what the Admiral likes!  By the way, there are several places to put a microwave.  Mine sits (and is attached to) the bench above - and to the rear - of the chart table.  Buy the boat you love (and if you can't be with the boat you love, Honey, love the boat you're with??) (apologies to Steven Stills)
Scotty