Vee Berth Locker Drain and Holes in cabin deck?

Previous topic - Next topic

n624ma

We are out for the winter  :cry4` and the projects have begun!

First question, the vee berth locker (big empty space under the cushions) does not drain to the bilge. has anyone drilled a drain hole through the aft vee bulkhead to correct this?

Question two, I pulled the cabin soles so I can seal the bottoms and edges, WHAT are all the holes for in the deck under the soles?

Thanks
Joseph Rheubeck

Stu Jackson

I recall someone mentioning that recently.  I can't imagine a serious amount of water getting in there.  Your boat, your choice to drill or not.  Wouldn't hurt.

Those are called limber holes and they do exactly what you just suggested needing to be done for the V berth.  If water gets under your floorboards, besides doing a number on them, there's nowhere for the water to go.  They drain into the bilge.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

n624ma

Stu, That was my guess on the deck, as for the vee we have some "Mystery" water that appears without rhyme or reason so I want to get it into the bilge to eliminate any mold in the vee locker.

Ah, the first year with a different boat!   
Joseph Rheubeck

mel low

Check the hose for the anchor locker drain.  I also had water showing up in that area and replacing that hose solved the problem.

Stephen Butler

Take a close look at the anchor well drain fitting.  We had a small crack that let in a good amount of water when it rained. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Mark Elkin

Quote from: n624ma on September 17, 2011, 03:58:30 PM
First question, the vee berth locker (big empty space under the cushions) does not drain to the bilge. has anyone drilled a drain hole through the aft vee bulkhead to correct this?

Yes, Y.Rose has a drain hole.  I assumed it was put there by Catalina, but I suppose it could have been the PO.  Here's a couple pictures.  (BTW, the PO also used the hole for passing the depth sounder and knot log cables into that space.)
Mark S Elkin

Ken Juul

It is safe to drill a hole.  My speed log is located under the Vee berth like Mark's.  Cables are routed differently.  Used to take several minutes with a sponge to soak up the water after the spedo was pulled.  Now it quickly drains into the bilge.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

2ndwish

We had the same problem which was due to the right angle connection at the just-above-the-water thru hull for the anchor locker drain.We also have a small drain hole.
I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that the lack of a drain might be intentional, creating a semi-watertight bulkhead in case of a hole near the stem. The idea was that the v-berth ,locker could fill to the waterline without decreasing the buoyancy enough to drop the waterline significantly, thereby preventing the vessel from sinking. I do not vouch for the veracity of the idea nor whether it calculates out. Come to think of it, I do not even vouch for my memory any more.
T

Ralph Masters

On Ciao Bella the through hull for the anchor locker drain drips water and needs to be pulled and re-sealed.  One of those pesky survey items I just have not gotten to.  So that may be the cause of your water as well.  gain access to it and watch it as you sail heeled to starboard and see if your getting a little dribble in from around the fitting.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

n624ma

Thanks to all (especially for the photos), finally found it!!

The anchor locker drain system will never leak again (at least not for a long time), I re-bedded the through hull, replaced the hose and clamps and re-bedded the drain fitting in the bottom of the locker.

Unfortunately the water was coming in through the deck plate in the front of the locker.

That doesn't leak anymore either, NOW!!

But the mystery leak makes sense now, any time we buried the bow a little water we below, even on sunny days.

I'll add a 1/2" limber hole at the aft locker bulkhead just because.

Joseph Rheubeck

Jeff Tancock

After having a bad leak into the V-Berth locker from an old and poorly installed depth sounder through hull I would never consider having a drain into the bilge. I wondered why it didn't have a drain then realised that having that locker self contained is a fantastic safety feature. When discovered the water it was over a foot deep and up to the waterline, but contained. If it was able to drain into the bilge it would have bad news as it would have filled the entire boat to the waterline and maybe even sunk her at the dock. As it was no big deal. I just scooped out the water and made a temporary repair to be fixed properly during my next haul out. If I did have a passageway to drain that locker, I would plug it now!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ralph Masters

Jeff,
Very GOOD point.  I may have to plug mine when I get in there to re-bed that through hull.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

Without the drain, the bow will fill to the point where the water is spilling out onto the floor through a cabinetry cutout and eventually running aft to fill the bilge.  So you now have several hundred pounds of water on the boat before the pumps get a chance to help.

Having the drain allows the bilge pumps to do their job.

YBYC
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Les Luzar

You know the more I read this message board, the more I learn, and the longer my project list gets...it's endless! But of course I love it! I too had some water in my Vee birth so I will have to check out all your suggestions. By the way, other than varnish, is there a more effective sealant for the underside of the teak and holly sole? 
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ralph Masters

Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987