exhaust riser

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I need some quick help/hints on installing a new riser on a universal x-25 diesel engine. Just got it back from Catalina direct. We are expecting a hurricane to hit and may have to move the boat. As of right now i cannot start the engine for obviuos reasons. I am going to the boat in about 2 hours so if there is any hints it would be appreciated ... i have a new gasket and antiseizing sealant ... thank you

mainesail

Quote from: kevMar on August 23, 2011, 12:55:50 PM
I need some quick help/hints on installing a new riser on a universal x-25 diesel engine. Just got it back from Catalina direct. We are expecting a hurricane to hit and may have to move the boat. As of right now i cannot start the engine for obviuos reasons. I am going to the boat in about 2 hours so if there is any hints it would be appreciated ... i have a new gasket and antiseizing sealant ... thank you

In a pinch you can remove the exhaust hose and ream out the elbow. Lots of chunks of crap will fall out and this is a "dirty job". Also remove the injection nipple/elbow and clean that area out. This should get you through for a short period of time to get out of harms way.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

kev : I've written a long article on replacing the exhaust riser.  The best tip I can give you immediately is to make sure the engine flange is clean of the old gasket.  Clean it a second time just to make sure and then install the gasket and the new riser.  Tighten the 3 nut down (using the antiseize) refill the coolant, start the engine, burp the thermostate heater hoses) and you should be good to go.

At the present time I'm anchored (2 anchors) in a Hurricane hole off the Chesapeake Bay on the great Wicomaco rvr - so I know your plight!!

Getting ready to strip the sails and canvas if it really looks bad.  Good luck !!
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Best of luck to all of you in the way of the hurricane...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447