Companionway doors

Previous topic - Next topic

kayadakota

Does anyone know where I can buy a companionway door to replace the wooden boards?  I've seen what looks to be a 1 piece fiberglass door but can't locate on the Internet?

David

bill hendrick

You might want to try Teak Concepts, they have some beautiful doors.  We bought a set from them that they make custom for your boat and they are very nice.  you can find them on the internet under teakconcepts.com.

amoreau

Does anyone know why sailboats have the wooden slats for the main opening?  Is it just tradition or is there a specific reason? :confused:
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Charlie P.

The slats in sailboat doors are to provide ventilation - and to allow insects a fair shot at you and your stores.

kayadakota

Can you be more specific about who to contact?  My boat is in Annapolis, MD.  
"Kaya Dakota"  C34 #1589

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al & Candy #1488 (2000) "DUN WISH'N":
Does anyone know why sailboats have the wooden slats for the main opening?  Is it just tradition or is there a specific reason? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been mulling this question over for the past week.  After looking at the referenced websites for doors, the most obvious one that comes to mind is that the doors can't open all the way because the bottom of the opening is lower than the cockpit seats.  So, to make the companionway opening clean, without obstructions, someone (probably on Noah's crew) came up with the idea of the trapezoidal slats (there's yet another C34 engineer-ese phrase).

The unintended consequences of this hatchboard concept directly resulted in the five million two hundred seventeen thousand eight hundred and sixty nine queries to the the C34 website: "Where do I stow my hatchboards?" (Mark I Owners only)

I understand that the statue of limitations have expired, and we can't go after Noah anymore to get the doors put back as OEMs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

amoreau

Very well said, however, couldn't the doors be made to open inside instead of out?  Of course if your not paying attention and the doors are open I would imagine you could give yourself a nice egg on the head.  But what's one more lump amoung many.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Stu Jackson

Al & Candy

If the doors opened inwards, it would create a different problem in addition to head banging:  water tightness.  If you look at where the slats are installed, they're kind of "outside" in their groove, and so keep the water outside the boat.

Only other thing we haven't considered is a garage-like ROLL UP DOOR that conveniently hides away behind the storm cover.  But the automatic garage door opener would most likely throw off the autopilot, confuse the loran, and muck up the GPS!!!

bjmansfield

Previous Owner of our '91 C34 had the ultimate doors custom made.  The bottom 1/3 of the door is solid and is hinged at the bottom to fold out into the cockpit.  This piece is essentially the size of the bottom hatch board.
the top 2/3's are doors on lift-off hinges which fold out all the way out to the cabin bulkhead.  They easily lift off for storage when sailing.  These doors have smoked plexiglass inserts which can be removed and replaced  with framed screens.

Have no idea how much he paid to have them made but they are all solid teak and obviously made by a cabinet maker.  If you live in an area where an A/C is used, they are priceless (almost?).

If i can find some good pictures, will scan them and get them posted on this site.

c34member

for sale never installed companion way doors, teak with lucite panels, stainless steel hinges, manufactured by Cruising Concepts specifically for the Catalina 34.  Anyone interested call 203-966-5431

hdevera

One important reason for slats is that it allows the the cockpit and interior to be separated.  This is important in the event a breaking wave swamps the cockpit.  Having one or two slats in place can keep a great deal of water from entering the cabin while the cockpit drains are doing their thing.  I doubt doors would function as well.  

Regarding where to place the boards:  On the newer models, the come with a holder adjacent to the companionway.  It's very convenient.  If you wish a picture I can email you one.

ajharvey

OK I will bite. I am a new Mark 1 owner.
For the 5,217,870th time, where DO you stow your companion way doors ?

jentine

I have installed two eyes on either side of the bulkheads adjacent to the ladder and using a piece of shock cord, the boards are held against the bulkhead.  The only problem is that when the engine is running they have a tendency to vibrate.  I usually stuff the sail ties or a piece of line behind the board.
Jim Kane