Bilge pump float switch

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

When was the last time you checked the operation of the float switch on your bilge pump... never?  Yep, that's me, but I have only owned the boat 10 years. :sleepy:  I did not know how, or even if you could check it.  I had a survey yesterday so I can reinsure my pride and joy (required by my insurance company after 10 years).  The surveyor found ONLY one thing wrong... my float switch was inoperative.   I check the bilge pump operation every time I am on the boat by flipping the switch to manual to insure it runs.  When I leave the boat, I always insure it is on automatic so the boat may be on top of the water when I return.  Little did I know that nothing would have happened if a leak developed somewhere.  The water has never been deep enough in my bilge to make the pump come on, let alone get close to the wiring.  In essence I keep a dry bilge.  The wiring to the pump and switch has never been in any bilge water.

I removed the corrugated chafing shield that Catalina installs around the wiring in our boats, and nothing seemed amiss.  I checked the switch, all OK.  Upon closer inspection of the wires close to the switch, about 1" from where they disappear into the sealed case of the switch, I saw a bulge in one wire.  Insulation was not damaged that I could see.  Cutting it open, all that was inside the insulation was a little green powder from my cut right on into the switch.  The wire was completely corroded away! :shock:  My guess is that the switch has been inoperative for some time.  I just added another item to my routine checklist.

Jack

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ron Hill

Guys : Jack's made a good point that you need to periodically check that float switch!!  I don't just mean lift the float switch and hear the bilge pump kick ON, but each spring fill the bilge with a garden hose so the float lifts, the bilge pump kicks in and MOST important - bilge water exits the transom!!

That check can also be done at the same time for the manual emergency bilge pump.  Mudd-dobbers and birds have know to build nests in those handy holes!!

In an early Mainsheet I cautioned owners to check that the bilge pump wiring was fused!!  The early MK1s did not come with an electric bilge pump - it was an option. I found that mine was installed by the dealer without a fuse.  I later installed a 10amp(as I recall - look at you bilge pump)fuse.

Here's another tip.  After a very heavy rain storm I entered my boat to hear something running.  It was the bilge pump, because the float switch had stuck in the UP (ON) position.  So don't get the cheapest float switch - I now have the "Super Switch".  Also be cautious about the internal type float switches, because junk/oil in the bilge can and will clog that float so it will not come ON or it won't shut OFF.

A few things to think about.  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Good idea to do that.

Reason?

During our CG Safety Inspection yesterday, the inspector asked me to activate the float switch.

You should get in the habit of checking it regularly.  Not too hard to do.

Nice to have that Safety Sticker on the mast.  Saves hassles with CG boardings, sometimes...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

Interesting Stu. I have the Coast guard check my boat every year, because that sticker can save a boarding in our much patrolled waters around the Islands in the PNW.  Even though they check the bilge, never once in 10 years have they checked my float switch :donno:
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ron Hill

When checking a bilge pump:

The bottom line is very simple -- how much water squirts out the bilge pump exit !!
Ron, Apache #788