Catalina 34 Mast Weight

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryS

Hi
Could somebody tell me where I can find the fully assembled Mast weight of a Catalina 34, I need to reinstall the Mast of our recently purchased C34 and our clubs crane can only handle 700lbs  maximum.

Thank You
Terry

Jeff Kaplan

Terry, I had the mast pulled a few years ago to get new rigging. When the mast was laid on top of saw horses, I tried to pick up on one end and could hardly budge it. The rigger told me the mast weighed a little over 300 lbs. The crane at your yard will be able to lift the mast...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

tonywright

An in-mast furling mast weighs a lot more than a regular mast, but is still less than 400lb. We regularly use a masting crane rated for 500lb with ours with in-mast furling. The only real challenge is needing six strong helpers to lift the mast onto a rack for storage. In you have in-mast furling, make sure that you use a wooden wedge in the slot to prevent damage to the mast from the lifting strap.  I can provide more details if this is your case....

You should tell us whether you have a MKI or MKII and whether you have in-mast furling or not.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Terry : You definitely need to state if yours is a keel or deck stepped mast, and whether it has roller furling or not. 
If you put your boat hull # on your profile it might give us a clue to your C34 configuration.
A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

TerryS

Hi
Thanks all, I contacted Catalina and was informed my Mast does weigh about 300lbs, I just purchased a 1987 MK I, with a Wing Keeled Stepped Mast. I will update my profile, the Hull # is 460. ( New Moon)
We purchased the boat in New Jersey, and had it shipped to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
The boat arrived last week, it is presently in a cradle with the Mast on Sawhorses and we are in the process of repairs and preparation.

Two items we are having difficulty with are changing the Cutlass bearing, and getting the Anchored light powered.
1. Is it possible to remove the Prop shaft without removing the rudder, we presently have the shaft freed from the engine( Saltwater is not friendly to boats) but are unable to remove the shaft past the rudder.
2. How is the Anchor light powered, there are two black wires going to the anchor light, but I am unable to power it, I was able to power the deck and steering light, and since I could not seemed to get power to the anchor I am uncertain of the problem.

It is fun and challenging all at the same time.

Thanks for your responses

Terry

Ron Hill

Terry : To answer your questions:
1.  The drive shaft will pass by the rudder, but it must be absolutely clean of corrosion so it will slide thru the old cutless bearing.  The other alternative is to have the marina use the tool that will squirt out the pressed in bearing and will press in a new one.

2.  There are two wires to the anchor light, but I believe that there should be a blue and a black.  Personally I wouldn't screw around with the old half dome anchor light fixture - I'd replace it with one that stands up a inch or two so it can be seen!!  
Also get your self a fixture that will hold an LED light that has a photo electric switch in it.  That way you'll same many amps and it will turn itself ON when it gets dark and OFF when it gets light outside

A few thoughts - good luck
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Blue & black?!?

My wiring is all brown.

They used LAMP CORD (the thin stuff, too!!!)  :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry4` :cry4` :cry4`

Guess Ron had a newer boat and got better wiring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Terry : I got my wire colors from my owners manual and I'll guess (my memory of 10+ years ago) was #14 or 16 gage wire.

If you look closely one of those black wires of yours may be a dark blue!  They (those wires) should be knotted around the bolt that holds the mast cap in place - to keep the wire weight strain from the anchor light fixture.  When I replaced the fixture I used the same factory wiring.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788