Replacement Galley Sink

Previous topic - Next topic

David Urscheler

After discovering the starboard vent stanchion had leaked and rotted the back corner of the galley counter, it was time to replace. I figured I'd replace the 20 year old pitted sink while I was at it. Not wanting to plunk down $900.00, I started an internet search. I had no idea finding a 17"x25"x9" deep stainless sink would be so hard. Not until i removed the old sink and found a faded label, did I discover it's a Polar-Ware sink. A quick search found it's East Coast distributor, JES Restaraunt Equipment in S. Carolina. Sure enough, they had the sink for $111.00!! It is 18 gauge stainless, with a brushed metal finish. I had to drill a 1" hole for the faucet, but other-wise it fit exactly. Erin, their salesperson, was extremely helpful. She can be reached at: erin@jesrestarauntequipment.com. P.S. check those stanchions!

Ralph Masters

This kind of information is exactly what this site is for.  Thanks a million for the posting.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Great post, thanks.

Has anyone considered just why sinks rust out?  There's a fellow on the C36 site who had this issue recently.  Battery fumes?  Although the C36 batteries are not below the sink unless the owner moved batteries from the standard starboard side to under the saloon seats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

What part of the sink rusted out?  From the top I see no signs of deterioration on mine.  The plastic drain fittings are starting to loose their "chrome" and are on the replacement list.  Should I be getting the mirrors out and checking the inside the cabinet?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

David Urscheler

My sink wasn't rusted, just pitted. Little pock marks, scratches and gouges that I couldn't buff or polish out. The bottom was fine. The reason to replace was purely for cosmetic reasons

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

When I replaced mine, I could actually see daylight in the back left corner looking up from underneath. I don't recall it costing $900. but I'm sure it was more than $111. The old one was brushed stainless, the new one was polished stainless.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

lucky

This is  great info,my sink needs to be replaced,but they are to expensive at $1000.00.I'm going to get mine ordered this week.
Thanks again
Al
Lucky c34
hull#13
:clap

Ron Volk

David,

Do you have the model # you ordered.  Looked on their website but could not find the item you discussed.

Thanks
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

David Urscheler

Ron:
The  model # is 102-1-2... 17" x 25" x 9" Deep. It is the 2" drain.

Dave

Stu Jackson

Added to wiki - thanks again, David.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Volk

Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA