Rigging "Hum"

Previous topic - Next topic

n624ma

In light (<10kt) wind on the mooring the stbd rigging hums. It is a medium to high pitch sound and if you lightly place a fingertip on the rod you can feel it.

I'm new to the C34 family, but not sailboats.

Rigging tensioned using a Loos gauge for the lowers and 3mm stretch at 2m for the uppers.
No hum on the port side.
Seems to be coming from the stbd upper, but you can feel it on all three.
I checked the archives and didn't find an answer.
It is not mast pumping.

Any thoughts?
Joseph Rheubeck

Ron Hill

n62 : I assume that you have the identical tension on the port as on the starboard? 
Ron, Apache #788

n624ma

Ron,
All the tensions are as close to equal as I can get them.
Joseph Rheubeck

crieders

I'll bet its an electrical bleed; in other words, I short. Does it carry a current. I have had the same thing in the lifelines, when I first bought the boat and after about 6 hrs of crawling around with a meter, I found the short. You said this happens only in a breeze however; mine was not affected by the wind at all. So who really knows.....
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Footloose

Cliff,

Where did you find the short?  I also have current in my life lines.  Seems to be when the nav lights are on.  I have not had time to look for it yet, but you could save me a lot of time.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

Here are total guesses.   The starbord spreader has a flag halyard and thats starting the vibrations.  Or the halyard is gone but the hardware is still there vibrating.  Are the spreaders set at the same angle?  What about where the spreaders pin to the mast and the wire guide?  Spreader boot and or rigging tape?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Footloose on July 04, 2011, 03:43:56 AM
Cliff,

Where did you find the short?  I also have current in my life lines.  Seems to be when the nav lights are on.  I have not had time to look for it yet, but you could save me a lot of time.

Most likely the forward port base of the pulpit, where the wiring comes into the pulpit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."