Dorade box and cowling vent that matches holes of original

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Rick Johnson's look beautiful, but WHO needs more teak ???  NOT I !!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 31, 2011, 05:14:54 PM
Rick Johnson's look beautiful, but WHO needs more teak ???

All of us with Mark Is! :shock:

[dorade search]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

Are the Vetus dorade boxes a match for the original holes?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : Recommend that you check with Vetus and Nicro. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: crieders on April 02, 2011, 03:41:34 PM
Are the Vetus dorade boxes a match for the original holes?

Cliff, I'm pretty sure that's what they came with.  Check my referenced link to my Mainsheet article about what was there to start off with.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

Our Vetus replacement dorades were an exact match. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Indian Falls

Vetus Toms dorade box is 307.00 each at Torrensen Marine.  Marked down from 317.00.  I take it they've tripled in price in 3 years...   That is a sick amount for injection molded plastic.

I pulled my cracked old dorades up the other day, the "air only ventilators" will fit without having to open the hole in the cabin top.   However the inner part screws to the cabin top like the dorade shell does and the cabin top hole is the same size as the inner parts bolt circle.  

I will document the install for your viewing enjoyment very soon...  these were 55.00 each with everything.  Now isn't that what plastic is supposed to cost?

By the way my 1990 has Nicro 3'' PVC low profile cowl vents and they are no longer available anywhere.  If you find a website, and some will, they will not ship you one due to the factory discontinuing them.  I found 1 in Canada and one someplace else but did not want to have dual shipping on these items costing nearly 50 each for just a pvc cowl.. my dorades are shot so I went with the "air only ventilator" which is the cowl, dorade, and baffle all for 55 bucks each. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

noworries

Do you have a link to the "air only" vent you used that was $55?  Might be hard to search for without more info.

I replaced one of mine with a nicro solar minivent.  Fits in the spot and looks a lot nicer/cleaner.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Indian Falls

Go to Ebay, search air only ventilator in all categories they are still there for 55 bucks.  the low profiles are even less.  Beware: admonish them about proper packaging. Mine arrived 3 stuffed into one box no bubble pak or news paper or anything the box looked like it had been in the Autobahn for an afternoon but no damage occurred... amazing.  (if I can find the pic I'll post it for entertainment purposes only)

I prefer the look of these over the Vetus Toms, but that's just me...

ebay link:  http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=air+only+ventilator+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=air+only+ventilators&_rdc=2

a simple google search for "air only ventilator" hit 6 sites no problem with www.air-onlyventilators.com at the top.
Dan & Dar

noworries

Ah, I remember finding those mentioned in the forum before, I was just a little hesitant to order something from Malta (which probably explains the $25 shipping you have to pay for them, making them $80)

Thanks for the link.  Sure beats the $500 catalinadirect wants for their dorade/vent combo!
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Indian Falls

I bought 3 complete units so shipping was only 8.33 each. 
I got three so I would have spare parts for the two going up on the cabin. 
You can get red or blue, just specify the color when you order and I would also add to pack them well. 

I emailed them upon receipt of my box and sent a picture of it's condition upon arrival.  They were very nice and offered to replace anything that may have been damaged. 
But who wants that headache? 

Yes there are 3 of these in that box and nothing was broken!
Dan & Dar

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ralph Masters

I've seen the results of IED's that didn't look that bad.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Indian Falls

The Before and After.

The Air only ventilators fit nicely in place of the Nicro Marine low profile vents and dorades.

After filling the old holes with Goop I needed to drill 12 1/8'' holes to mount the new vent and dorade.
I used the white butyl tape meant for RV roofs.  The  bolt circle of the ventilator just makes it over the hole in the cabin top. 

They are different with the 12 balls inside the screen that close the holes if water gets in, so don't do this on a windy day!

Dan & Dar

Indian Falls

(funny, the post says you can upload five 150kb pics but my 4 at less than 150kb would not all go up without the error message)
Dan & Dar