reef lines on boom

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Regan

just bought 88 34 , main has 2 reef points , but no lines on boob , just 2 jamb cleats forward on boom , need help with setting up lines on boom , last boat had internal lines in boom , please help
thanks
 Gene Regan

gene regan

rm_fleming

Gene, I have a 1989, 34.  My boom came with a "jiffy reef" set up that includes two sheaves attached to a track on the starboard side of the boom.  The sheaves are adjustable horizantally along the aft end of the boom so that you can set them at the appropriate angle (45 degrees) from the reefing gromet on the clue of the sail.  I expect that this is not a "stock" item and is added by many owners.  From there, you can run a line forward to one of those jam cleets you spoke of.  Some however, run the line to a pully on the mast, then down to the deck, and eventually back to the cockpit.  This way, you can reef without leaving the safety of cockpit.  This is one of those items where there is not just one "right" way to rig it.  Look at other boats for other ideas.

Ted Pounds

My boat is set up with a short piece ot T-track at the end of the boom.  On the track are mounted two cars each with a cheek block and an eye.  The reef line runs from the eye around the boom up to the reef clew, back to the cheek block and forward to the line stopper/jammer.  The line is 3/8" dacron.  The reef tack goes to a hook on the forward end of the boom.  All this stuff came with the boat, but I'm sure it's available through any of the catalogs.  Obviosly with this set-up I have to go to the base of the mast to reef.  Not an issue for me since, if I have to reef, I usually set it up before I leave the dock.  If you expect to reef a lot while underway then a system leading the lines to the cockpit may be better.  I'm sure some of the other folks here have some good ideas on such a set-up.  In any case you'll still need the check block(s) at the end of the boom.  By the way I only have the lower set of reef points rigged currently.  If it's so bad that I'd need the next set I just don't go out.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

SteveLyle

Gene,

Welcome!  I'm a year ahead of you in C34 ownership.  Goog question - you're going to need that reef!

The answer to this and many other questions lies in your owners manual.  Does your boat have one?  Does the PO (previous owner) still have it?  Get it if you can.  Call Catalina - they might be able to provide one.  It covers all the rigging - sizes, lengths, how it runs through the blocks, etc..

Tie a 3/8" line to the aft block on the track Roger mentions (it was std on my boat, btw).  Run it under the boom, up through the cringle, back down to the block, through the block, then fwd to the cleat.  Take another 3/8" line, tie it to the strap that's a couple of feet off the deck on the port side of the mast, run it up to the luff reef grommet, through it and back down to the cleat on the stbd side of the mast.

On a calm day at the dock, haul down on the fwd line so that the luff grommet is at the gooseneck.  Tension the halyard.  Mark it with a few stitches of sail thread (or a magic marker) so you'll know how much halyard to release for that reef pt.  Haul in on the leach (leech?) reef line.  Make sure you've got that 45 degree angle that Roger talked about, if you don't move the block fwd or aft on the track.

BTW - the owners manual tellls you the length of the lines you'll need, but a tape measure will tell you as well.

You should be all set.  Fair winds.

Steve

Gene Regan

WOW !!!!!
thank you all for the comeback so soon, will employ sugestions asap and look forward to speaking to you all again soon, again many thanks and fair winds to all

Gene Regan

gene regan

rlwagner

Beware the listing in the manual! I bought new reef lines per spec in the book and they were both four feet too short. So, I had to buy a new long one.

Ken Juul

If you don't have a manual, a MK1 and MkII manual are in the tech wiki.  May not be your year, but still good info.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rlwagner on April 22, 2014, 03:18:26 PM
Beware the listing in the manual! I bought new reef lines per spec in the book and they were both four feet too short. So, I had to buy a new long one.

Thge location of the reef points on your mainsail will affect the length of the reefing lines.  Measure twice...  I've never bought any line that I hadn't either measured myself and/or added a few cautionary feet.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."