Water Heater Fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

The water heater fittings that the hoses connect to are starting to crack on my boat. Are these fittings available at West Marine or Home Depot; or, do you have to order them from the heater manufacturer? They appear to be that type of plastic fitting sold at West Marine.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Gary

Lance,

I have replaced the plastic fittings with bronze. I found the plastic would deform from hose clamps, especially with heat and pressure. Over time they do not seal well and leak small amounts of hot water into the bilge. I found that leak to be the source of occasional cycling of the water pressure pump.

Take your plastic ones out and go to Home Depot or Lowes. You will find an exact replacement there.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Hill

Lance : Gary is correct that those nylon fittings can be deformed by a hose clamp.  The key is to remove hoses using a heat gun so the hose slides off easily!! 

Those nylon fittings can be purchased at any hardware store and are a 1/2" NPT with a 1/2" barbed end.

Don't forget to use some "pipe dope" and remember to NEVER BACK UP - just always tighten!! 
Hope this helps ! 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks so much Gary and Ron!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Gary,
Replaced with Bronze as you suggested. Worked great! Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Gary

Lance,

Terrific! It makes sense to use bronze where there is so much heat and pressure. When you disconnect hoses from the bronze fittings on the water heater to winterize, it is good to have a heat gun to warm the hose for easier removal. The plastic hose really seals tightly on the bronze hose barb. Good for a "no leak" joint but harder to separate without heat application.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Lance Jones

We don't have to winterize. Sorry. But, great advice anyway!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622