Who gets credit for staining my interior orange?

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

88 C34
Curious........Anybody know if Catalina was staining interior teak back then or was it the PO? Thought it was just maybe a batch of orangish teak but way over in the corner I can see a couple stain lines along the hull. To make it worse, it is varnished over. I found heat gun is slower than stripper removing varnish, but not near as messy. Though stain soaks thru pores, it does seem to brown the wood up some when the varnish is removed. Sheesh.....this is work. Maybe orange ain't so bad.

Ron Hill

gwp : Your boat came out of the factory with natural brown teak, as Catalina didn't do anything to the teak in your production year !!

The factory started to varnish the interiors of the MK II  in 1995. 
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Could it be that the varnish itself has yellowed (or turned so yellow, it's more of an orange color) over the years?   I notice on my boat, it seems that Catalina did some varnish to the interior teak AFTER it was installed, by the overbrush marks (slightly yellow) on the fiberglass headliner.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Tom Soko

GWP,
My 87 C36 came out of the factory with stain applied over the teak.  No varnish, just stain.  After trial and error, I found that Minwax Red Oak stain on fresh teak matches perfectly.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

lazybone

My hull #677 came with a lightly oil stained interior which over the course of a few years turned to a nice warm redish color.  About year five I satin varnished over it and loved how it turned out. 
No hint of orange at all.  I bought my Cat new but I don't know if the original oil finish was done by the factory or the dealer?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Varnishing interior teak is a personal choice.  As far as I know, Catalina did not varnish down below in the Mark I boats.  We enjoy the unvarnished teak down below.  We use teak oil to keep the wood in good shape.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

gwp

Thx for posts. A friend swears "liquid gold" furniture treatment on bare teak is the way to go rather than teak oil. In looking around on the net, it does seem to be others who subscribe. Stripping and sanding is de-oranging mine somewhat, but wont return it back to original. I think my days of interior varnishing are over.

Jim Hardesty

My previous boat had a lot of oiled teak in the cabin.  First I cleaned with Murphy's Oil Soap and water, just a little.  Then used lemon oil (made from lemon grass used a couple of brands they all were the same) it gave the wood a rich color but not too dark to my taste and just a little lemon smell.  Also I think that the bugs, spiders & such were discouraged.  Tried it on Shamrock but due to the varnish didn't have the same results.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rick Johnson

It could be worse.  The PO of my C34 decided to Cetol the interior.  Since it was his first sailboat and he only took her out twice in a year, I'd guess he got some advice about exterior teak and just got a little confused.  At least it is the Cetol Light and not the original version.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Indian Falls

At least on this subject a picture would be really nice. 

I only have oiled teak, luckily.

I'd really love to see what Cetol on the interior looks like! 

(use "MS paint" to shrink it to 150kb save as jpg attach the saved file)

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ralph Masters

Nice mast, ours is painted white.  On the inside of the cabin it looks very nice, but topside it's starting to look like it needs re-painted.
Our teak is oiled as well.  We've had the boat for almost a year and have oiled the teak twice now.  The PO didn't do it ever, it didn't look like.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987