outhaul upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Luzar

Did you spray it or roll it? Looks very nice.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Roland Gendreau

I rolled it on with a foam roller, and smoothened out the bubbles with a fine bristle brush.

Sanded with 320 grit between coats. 

I hung the boom from the garage ceiling so I could paint it without resting it on anything.

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

mark_53

I cannot get the four screws off the endcap with an impact driver an PB Blaster.  Don't want to use heat since it will ruin the paint.  Thinking I will have to drill the screws out but concerned with being off center and ruining the treads in the boom and endcap.  Has anyone had to drill the encap screws to remove?  What size bit or other advice not to "screw" up.

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on November 04, 2014, 03:44:25 PM
I cannot get the four screws off the endcap with an impact driver an PB Blaster.  Don't want to use heat since it will ruin the paint.  Thinking I will have to drill the screws out but concerned with being off center and ruining the treads in the boom and endcap.  Has anyone had to drill the encap screws to remove?  What size bit or other advice not to "screw" up.

Are you using an impact driver or a hammer and impact driver?
Might try tightening to the point of snapping them off, then carefully grind flat w/ a dremel.
Can you get a vice grip on the heads to looser or snap them off? 
Then you can more precisely drill them out after removal.

Luckily mine backed right out - 30 year old fresh water boat tho.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mark_53

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 04, 2014, 07:36:27 PM

Are you using an impact driver or a hammer and impact driver?
Using impact driver and hammer.  Also tried my 20V drill/driver.
Quote from: KWKloeber on November 04, 2014, 07:36:27 PM
Might try tightening to the point of snapping them off, then carefully grind flat w/ a dremel.
Can you get a vice grip on the heads to looser or snap them off?

They would have to be ground below the surface of the boom thickness.  Seems pretty difficult.  Not enough surface for vice grips.  but thanks for the ideas!

KWKloeber

To grind the screw stubs below the thickness of the boom, you would use a Demel with a rotary resp, and there is a grinding surface on the round face of the resp.

You could also conceiveably use a round stone and grind on the round face, but I think that would be slower going.  Either way, it wouldn't be a piece of cake.

You might try drilling a small pilot and using an 'easy out'.  Before that I would try a bit that grabs what's  remaining of the  screw head, and bites in in reverse direction.  I don't know what they are called, but my set (gift) are Craftsman.

A true impact drill/ driver works better than a hammer/impact tool.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

mark_53

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 05, 2014, 08:38:58 AM

http://www.sears.com/search=screw%20extractor&Sears?filter=storeOrigin&catalogId=12605&previousSort=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&viewItems=50&storeId=10153&levels=Tools&searsTab=true

The first one is the set that I have, tho some of the others look more stout.

Ken

I'd be worried about snapping one of those since they are pretty small screws, than I'd have a bigger problem.  Will probably try renting a pneumatic driver next.  Thanks!

Ed Shankle

I had a the same issue. I just drilled them out then went to a slightly bigger screw. No need to tap. Used self tapping SS screws. Then backed them out, put some no seize on them and re-screwed in.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Noah

My experience is once the dissimilar metal corrosion sets in, best to drill them out. That's what I did with any "problem fasteners" on my boom and mast. However I had the luxury of then doing a full repaint; sanding, prime, LP spray, and new rigging and wiring. Expensive, but better than new. If you are not going to such heroics, and are worried about scratches or drilling larger holes...don't worry. Cut or grind off flush, use a center punch and drill out fasteners with sharp cobalt bit. Then, either tap larger or use larger self tapping machine screws. You can spot touch-up scratches with enamal paint and/or cover them with washers.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig