Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011 Officers Meeting Notes  (Read 7026 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Stu Jackson

  • Moderator
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
  • ********
  • Karma: 66
  • Posts: 7138
    • View Profile
2011 Officers Meeting Notes
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »

Catalina 34 International Association Year 2011 Annual Officers Meeting

Dear Catalina 34 International Association Members, Officers and Board Members;

The Annual Meeting of the Catalina 34 International Association Officers was held via telephone conference call on Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 8:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 5:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time.  The meeting concluded at 8:03 p.m. PST.

The 2011 International Officers are listed after these meeting.  Participants in this teleconference included Ken Juul, Michael Shaner, Stu Jackson, Ken Heyman, Ray Irvine, Dave Sanner John Nixon and Ron Hill.  

The meeting was based on the emailed agenda, dated February 8, 2011.

MEETING NOTES

1.   Financial Report & Projections – Treasurer Ken Heyman
a.   Cash is approximately $16K.  Projections for 2011 indicate a small gain of $1,500 with steady membership and somewhat reduced expenses, compared to a gain of  $2,300 last year.  Cash balance continues to grow.
b.   Statement and projections accepted as presented.  

2.   Membership – Secretary Stu Jackson
a.   640 current members, remains stable since a high of 730 in 2004 and the drop to the mid-600’s two or three years ago.  Ron Hill noted that membership was between 600 and 700 in earlier years, prior to the CD-ROM and the website, when only Mainsheet was offered to membership.  Review seems to indicate that with 1,800 C34s built, 1/3 of C34 owners become C34 IA members, another 1/3 may register and/or lurk on the message board, and 1/3 have no interest in either or may simply not be aware of the resources.  Other issues are time and skill sets, since the Message Board provides important DIY information.  Historical review of earlier Officer Meetings discussions indicate that the effort required to promote the C34IA through boat dealers has been lukewarm at best.  Ken Juul has been placing Mainsheets on “unknown” C34s with very limited success.  Statistical analysis of registrants to the Message Board was discussed at the 2008 Officers Meeting: “Earlier officers meeting discussions had suggested checking registered Message Board members compared to C34IA members.  Stu noted that this had been considered a burdensome task because the ”usernames” in the Message Board registry are often nowhere near the same as the real names used for C34IA membership.”  This remains true today, and is further complicated by older registrants selling their boats, and the welcomed registrants of other manufacturer’s boats who have signed onto our board because of the quality information and discussions.  The total number of registrants to the Message Board is difficult to reconcile with IA membership, and does not appear to provide additional useful information for targeting prospective new members.

3.   Website:  Tech Notes Online & wikis, spam issues
a.   Bob Kuba has prepared and issued a “Forum Members Approval Tips” email to help combat pervasive spammers from joining as Message Board registrants.  The “giveaway” is usually odd names combined with numbers.  Len J, Bob K, Michael S and Dave S are monitoring and approving new registrants, using the “rejections with email choice”.  Dave would appreciate all the help he can get.  If there are any questionable registrants, leave them for Dave to check.
b.   Dave is backing up the website 2 times a week.  Better bbs software release may have better tools for controls.
c.   A list of Forum/Message Board “Administrators” should be developed.

4.   Facebook – promotion for website, administrators
a.   It appears that the Facebook page is being utilized to post photos and is good publicity for the C34 IA.  
b.   Set up a group conference call with Lance to discuss Administrators, goals and results.

5.   National Regatta
a.   Michael suggested a 2012 Chesapeake bay National Regatta.  Ray Irvine offered hints & tips for racing, consider using a yacht club for running the races and facilities afterwards.  Ray reported 14 boats regularly race in San Francisco and that the Nationals did not bring any new boats out to race, but support was strong.  Ray offered to help with racing rules including notice to race and sailing instructions
b.   Entry fees don’t include slip fees, budget $200 for trophies, $600 for open food and bar.  C34 IA supported the national regatta on a contribution per entered boat
c.   Stu noted that the perpetual trophy should be considered and is currently with Chris Owen (Mottley #8) here in San Francisco.

6.   Fleets
a.   Interest expressed in San Diego and Galveston.  Michael to forward those contacts the Fleet Formation Package.  Also the package should be given to lance as Vice Commodore, since the VC is responsible for fleets.

7.   CD-ROM status & updates – Stu – using updates from Bob Kuba
a.   Stu asked John to get in touch with Bob to continue the contributions of raw material for the Tech Notes Online and updating the CD-ROM regularly.  Stu now gets the updated CD from Bob, and copies it for new members.

8.   Tech Editor
a.   John suggested that he focus a few new technical Mainsheet articles on a few “How To Do…” articles to help folks to “not be afraid to drill holes in your boats.”  The articles would have the goal of identifying and explaining a series of basic skills so that new skippers would understand that “maybe this isn’t so hard after all.”
b.   Ron noted that is has always been an issue to get folks to write up what they’ve done, but that there’s always a new twist.

9.   C355
a.   The question was to determine if the new C355 owners should be invited to join our Association.  Discussion indicated that the boats have little in common, we could help with basic skill sets, but not necessarily boat specific issues.
b.   Conclusion was to wait until next year.
c.   NOTE:  Later email discussion with Tom Sokoloski and the C36 offering to the new C375 skippers changed that conclusion.  Michael to keep up with Tom and find a way to invite the C355 skippers to our group.

10.   Associate Memberships – little support last year
a.   Would require an Amendment to the Constitution as discussed last year.
b.   Discussion ensued over benefits of membership and enticements to attract additional members when the treasury is solvent.  Ken J. noted he’d been dropping off Mainsheet magazines on boats and has only had two calls back over the years.  Enticements include providing a free burgee, free renewal and C34 patches (like Paul Erb’s in the former Fleet 21 from New Jersey).  Ken H noted the differences in fleets where some are social and others are technical.
c.   Agreed to continue to consider without action this year.

11.   Fleet Support
a.   Motion made, seconded and passed to extend Fleet Support for $10 per boat as of April 1st with those fleets that choose not to accept OK, requires a discussion and a motion for renewal every year.
b.   Additional discussion about methods of giving back to all members and not just fleets, reducing or suspending dues for a certain periods, and thinking of things we could do to add value to all members.
c.   Conclusion:  continue to think about different possibilities for further discussion.

12.   Other
a.   Ken H suggested that we consider using Skype for conference calls to reduce costs. [NOTE:  Later emails regarding this subject to be reviewed, looks like a good opportunity for cost savings.]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:54:31 AM by Stu Jackson »
Logged
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

  • Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
  • *****
  • Karma: 2
  • Posts: 379
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Officers Meeting Notes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »

Thank you all (officers and others) soooo much for all of your hard work.  It takes a lot to keep this organization going - the website is just the part that is easily seen.  I know how much we all gain from your efforts and I'm sure that I speak for many, when I say that your efforts are really appre   :clap  ciated.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:23:40 PM by scotty »
Logged
Scotty
Pages: [1]   Go Up