New chain plate design V2.1

Previous topic - Next topic

togve

New chain plate design Version 2.1

We recently posted our initial ideas for a new chain plate design on the C34 and C36 websites. As expected we got great feedback. We have progressed to producing the chain plates which we will be installing next weekend.  (See image).  The main features of the updated chain plate design are:  1) A deck plate portion that is welded to the vertical shroud bar part of the chain plate and will not allow any water seepage.  The deck plate also accommodates the deck bolts which increase the surface area for sealant and allows compression of the deck plate against the deck.  2) A similar sized backing plate to sandwich the deck between the deck and back plate.  3)  A full sized toggle to connect the shroud bar to the tie rod.
[attach=#]

When installed, the new chain plate design will accomplish two essential goals: 1)  A seal to eliminate water ingress into the slot hole in the deck which could ultimately compromise the deck core. (This is what we are all trying to avoid. 2) The ability to tension the tie rods beyond what is currently done out of the factory which just beyond hand tight.  This will tension the triangle formed by the tie rod, outer hull, and deck and result in a stiffer hull.  Under sailing conditions this will decrease the relative movement between the chain plate and the hull which will further preserve the integrity of the seal between the deck plate and the deck itself.

All else aside we think the new design will look great and will be a real conversation piece with other C34 and C36 owners.

Tony Germin
1997 C34 #1331
Rick Verbeek
1999 C36 #1763
Lakeshore Yacht Club
Toronto

BillG

Bill
Rock Hall, MD

togve

Thanks Bill

Final installation will be this week.
I'll post some pictures and the some installation procedures with tension specifications which will be important for the proper load bearing.

Cheers:

Tony Germin
1997 C34 #1331
Lakeshore Yacht Club
Toronto

Ralph Masters

Tony,
Great work.  Looks very good, should do what you are looking to do.  After you get it installed and a month or two sailing let us know how it is performing.  I may be interested in replaceing/upgrading mine in the future.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987