Aqua Lift Muffler Petcock

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I would like to replace the petcock on the muffler and was wondering, does it screw directly into the fiberglass or is there a metal sleeve that it screws into? I'm concerned about removing it and cracking the fiberglass in the process. Any tricks to this job?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

Mike,

Look up my post on this subject a few months ago.  I replaced the petcock with absolutely no issues.... If I can do it, anybody can do it :thumb:
I had bought the replacement valve through Catalina Direct because I wanted to be absolutely certain it was the correct size.  However, I have since found the same fitting at WM for a few $ less.
My valve spun out of the fiberglass muffler with little effort and had no metal insert, only some teflon tape. 
Have some rags or a can to catch and drain the fluid from the muffler to cut down on the mess.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Mike : That brass petcock (1/4" pipe thread) is avialable in any auto parts store for much less $$ than Catalina Direct or West Marine !!  

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Welcome back Kev, over the jet lag yet??

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Hawk

Just replaced my rusted out petcock on the muffler wirh  a 1/4 in pipe thread petcock from Lordco auto parts..only $2.12 rather than the $16 Catalina Direct wants.
I turned over the engine for 15 seconds while pulling the stop lever out. Been two weeks since I ran the engine also. Only had a small amount of clear water exit the muffler and quickly inserted the new one. All good.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35