Making your old rub rail look like new tip...

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

I have'nt seen this mentioned in any of the threads so maybe everybody already knows about it but several boats ago I was seriously considering replacing the old rub rail due to it's very worn out and stained appearance. A friend told me to lightly wipe the rail with a clean rag dipped in acetone. Seriously, worked like magic. No rubbing, no scrubbing, just lightly wipe them down. Made them look like they just came out of the box, no kidding!

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

That's only the first step.

You need to wax them to keep the shine.

It's like oxylytic acid (FSR, On&Off, ketchup, etc.) on the bow mustache, tiny little pores are opened up and to keep the shine you need to seal with wax.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

The ones on my boat look great but unfortunatly the other effect of age is a loss of elasticity.  Every time I use them for what they designed for they jump out of the aluminum track.  So they look good but they need replacing anyway.  Can't win.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Les Luzar

Dosen't Acetone ruin the rubber? I was told by my rigging guy not to use acetone on my white lifelines because it will dry them out and turn them yellow. Wouldn't it be the same for the rubrail?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Some times the dark piling marks require lacquer thinner to get them out.  Only use L thinner on the dark spots that won't come off with the a cleaner wax.  Then I always use McGuire's cleaner wax to put some life back in the vinyl  and get the normal spots and up shine back into the vinyl rub rail.

Most of the marks I can always get out with the cleaner/wax and some rubbing/buffing.  
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I believe acetone will cause the rubber to soften and get sticky.  I use this stuff, M1 Remover, and it works great.  Cleans lifelines to look like brand new.  Also great on shore power cord. Will not soften plastic or rubber. Great at getting stains off fiberglass (even though the newer label says, 'do not use on fiberglass', I called the company and they said the formula never changed).  Home Depot used to sell this, but I haven't seen it there in years.  I bought a bunch of cans a number of years back, so I've always had a supply...but it's dwindling.  I guess you can order it directly from the company or call them and find out where a distributor may be. It's worth having a can of this stuff as a non-abraisive cleaner.  I always use this first before I resort to something more harsh.

http://www.d-mandbetterproducts.com/tough_job_remover_4.5oz.html

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Craig Illman

I've used M-1 too, after a recommedation on this forum. It worked very well.

Craig

Ed Shankle

As Ron does, I use the McGuires cleaner/wax, since that's what I also use to clean the hull in the spring. What makes it easier, is applying to the rubrail with a scotchbright pad. Cleans it right up.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA